Stand Up, Don't Be Put Down | Teen Ink

Stand Up, Don't Be Put Down MAG

By KayleighPadar11 PLATINUM, Prospect Heights, Illinois
KayleighPadar11 PLATINUM, Prospect Heights, Illinois

“Do you even have a voice?” Surprisingly, this condescending question didn’t come from a freshman boy trying to get a reaction, but instead from a teacher who was supposed to be helping me learn.

For anyone who hasn’t interacted with me before, my supposedly “nonexistent” voice is almost always accompanied by sweaty palms and avoidance of eye contact, especially in front of a group or with someone I don’t know well. Throughout my life, I’ve had trouble finding the confidence to speak at all, much less in a controlled way.

To combat this character trait, I regularly put myself in situations where I’m forced to speak. I’m on the speech team, where all we do is public speaking. I present at journalism conventions and try to answer questions in classes.

Adults, specifically teachers, need to be conscious of how they speak to students because they don’t always understand their situations outside of class. I don’t think it’s right for an adult to judge my situation without knowing who I am or even trying to figure it out. Docking points on presentations is one thing (I understood my C), but teachers should never be condescending about student weaknesses, whether it be a lack of confidence or something more serious. If an adult is concerned, that’s different, but joking or laughing about it is immature and degrading.

It might seem like students have no control over how we are treated, but that isn’t true. When that teacher asked me if I had a voice, I wish I had retorted, “Ask my regional speech medal” or “Ask the adults in my life who actually care to watch me grow.” In the future, I know that I won’t allow anyone, even someone in control of my grade, to put me down.

I advise you not to put up with it either. Get your quippy comebacks ready.

Most teachers are supportive, and the majority of young people are stellar at standing up for themselves and others, but we can all use the occasional reminder. We deserve to be respected by our educators – weaknesses, struggles, quiet voices, and all. 

on May. 12 2018 at 11:17 pm
Celia Buell SILVER, Skokie, Illinois
It seems to me that you've found a wonderful voice...through writing and passions! It's important to never let anyone put you down. I wish you luck if this ever happens again.