College | Teen Ink

College

By giovannacortello BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
giovannacortello BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

This story explains my thoughts on going to college and leaving everything that is familiar to me.

Chapter 1: College

It finally hit me. It is coming. So much stress. So much planning. So much preparing. How can I possibly be this old? Just a blink ago I was walking into Mount Carmel for the first time ever, thinking these girls are so old; I’m so intimidated. I need to find my grammar school friends NOW. I heard the older kids sit at the lunch tables--I guess we have to sit outside. There are so many buildings and so many girls. Why are there so many stairs? Where is my classroom? There are so many lunch options. Did someone say there was a coffee shop here?
Now I am a senior. Where did the time go? Eighth grade year, freshman year, sophomore year, and junior year have passed, and now it is almost time to leave. This feeling is the weirdest, most complicated feeling I have ever had. I am just settling and finding the people who I have the most fun with. I am comfortable with my school, my grades, my classes, and my teachers. I have met so many people along the way to help me find myself. I would have never guessed that it would be senior year when I became close with my truest friends. I can’t even imagine leaving my normal routine and my normal life. How am I supposed to live without my parents?
Sitting in my kitchen with my parents and planning my journey into my next stage of life, I look around. My kitchen is filled with things that mark my role as a daughter. My Principal Honor Roll certificates are taped to the pantry door, along with printed emails from Ms. Simno. My lunch kit sits on the counter next to the sink. My school bag lays on the ground with papers spilling out of it. My clean clothes are folded in a basket sitting in the hallway. My parents sit across from me, trying to help me make decisions like a grown up. They try to get answers out of me, but I just can’t think straight. My mom wants me to figure out my roommate, while my dad pesters me about finding a major. This feeling is so uncomfortable; I despise thinking this far into the future--but the time is now. I am forced to make the decisions that will impact my life forever. The major I choose right now could lead me to a life of happiness or regret.  Tears roll down my face as I think about leaving everything that is familiar to me. 
I begin to realize that everything I do is my last. My decisions and attitude towards everything will shape me as a person. I have to make the best of everything because when I look back, these last few months are what I will remember most. Although the thought of this makes me sick, moving on is a part of everyone’s lives. It may come with feelings of doubt, sadness, intimidation, fear, etc., but growing up is part of life. College is near, and I will have to learn to kick aside my doubts and make the most of now. Still sitting on my kitchen barstool, I tune back into reality: “So, have you decided on what dorm you want to stay in?” “No, Mom..”