Bilingual Education | Teen Ink

Bilingual Education

By musicisthegoodlife GOLD, Daegu, Other
musicisthegoodlife GOLD, Daegu, Other

In the 21st century, globalization has and is continuing to influence our lives in various of aspects. Amid these situations, there has been a lot of controversy on whether bilingual education is really necessary. Some argue that the acquisition of one's own native language should be prioritized before anything else, while others argue that learning more than one language is essential in this global age. I personally support the latter group for many reasons.

To start off, bilingual education is beneficial to the students acquisition of knowledge. Being able to speak or read more than one language opens up an entirely new field of information such as books, or other text in which you can gain access to. To illustrate. Korean students in foreign language high schools learn to speak English, Korean, and a third language of their choice. This allows them to study/enjoy not only Korean literature but also English novels, Japanese songs, and etc. Thus, one can conclude that this opens up many more opportunities in learning more.

Another reason backing up my support for bilingual education is that it's essential in our global society. According to the Office of Bilingual Education and Minority Languages Affair, being bilingual gives a receptive frame of mind and improves both the students' skill in becoming comfortable not only in their 2nd language but also in their mother tongue. The ability of thinking out of the box is essential in becoming a successful member in a globalized society and research proves that being bilingual offers just that.

In conclusion, there are an uncountable number of reasons why bilingual education is necessary. Access to a more diverse range of information and the ability to open up one's mind is just a few of them and thus, one can conclude that bilingual education is essential without a doubt.