Rosa Parks - Her Life Beyond the Bus | Teen Ink

Rosa Parks - Her Life Beyond the Bus

March 10, 2012
By deJoisey SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey
deJoisey SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey
5 articles 1 photo 4 comments

In the scope of her long life, Rosa Parks’ numerous achievements have been negligently compressed into a single epitomizing event: her peaceable refusal to submit to Jim Crow on that infamous Montgomery bus. Not to belittle her intrepid stand against bigotry, but Parks’ life was comprised of so much more than a single clash over transit. Her actions set in motion the modern civil rights movement, and provided the essential footing by which the United States’ most notable civil rights leaders could stand.
It is Parks’ perseverance that makes her truly recognizable among civil rights activists; she built upon her experiences and utilized her notoriety to strengthen the collective voice of the oppressed masses. With her husband Raymond at her side, Parks collaborated with the NAACP long before her bus incident, tirelessly petitioning for amnesty for innocent blacks unjustly accused of crimes. From 1943 to 1957, she worked alongside Montgomery NAACP President Edgar Nixon as his secretary, and together they chronicled every case of discrimination that came through the office. Although her successes were few, she was not discouraged, and continued to promote the truth: African Americans are first-class citizens, no different from whites or any other race.
In many ways, Parks continues to be an ideal model for all women, black and white, who strive to be independent in a male-dominated world. Aside from her extraordinary work during the civil rights movement, Parks obtained her high school diploma at 20 years old (a rare feat for African American women of the time), and notwithstanding the discrimination of racist officials, registered to vote. Her ultimate ambition can be outlined in her own words, “Memories of our lives, of our works and our deeds will continue in others.” She wanted her legacy to live on in her absence, to forever advocate open-mindedness and inspire courage in the face of fear. Rosa Parks, guided by her innate sense of moral justice, transcended the social hierarchy of white supremacy and illuminated the path toward complete racial integration, all in the context of a single No.