Is Modern Media Good or Bad for Teens? | Teen Ink

Is Modern Media Good or Bad for Teens?

March 9, 2018
By RyanDenea BRONZE, Weatherford, Texas
RyanDenea BRONZE, Weatherford, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn’t said.” -Peter Drucker.  In many ways, Peter is right.  The most deafening scream is silence because it holds all words unsaid, including the answer to whether modern media is good or bad for teens. 

 

Modern media has many good and bad sides, although there comes an age when media can be used as a tool for young children who need to be educated on the dangers of the internet.  A young child will not know the difference between a friend and a foe in the online community, for most children are naive and will believe just about anything you tell them.  But what about teens?  As a teen who has grown up with social media and the preachings of safety, I feel that with the proper information we can keep safe without stunting our ability to use media.  Back when our parents were kids, the common media consisted of newspapers and tv, so there was far less danger then because predators couldn’t reach out to children anonymously.  All that has changed is the tools they use to reach us though, not their intentions.


Unfortunately, the institution of media, the internet, computers, and phones can make us vulnerable, but if you’re prepared you can protect yourself and others.  Information about how child predators reach out pretending to be a child's age is all over the place and can help you spot someone who has ill intentions for you.  Another option is just not to let anyone onto your social media and not to talk to strangers through the privacy settings within the application.  Even if the picture looks like a young boy or girl, or if they simply compliment you, it doesn’t mean they’re a friend.  Sure, there are people out there who are your age and simply do want to be friends but why chance it?  It’s just common sense to stay safe as much as possible.
 

The point is, media is a powerful and unique tool that can be used for both good and evil.  As teens we are mature enough to handle such a great responsibility, but we do need to be educated.  Instead of telling us “No.” teach us safety, that way both our education and trust can grow.


The author's comments:

A teacher brought the topic up, and whether or not we can use technology in the classroom is under heavy debate at my school.  I'm hoping to educate others on the usefulness but also the dangers of modern media and the internet.