Is Technology Taking Over Our Lives? | Teen Ink

Is Technology Taking Over Our Lives?

By RachelPOV. BRONZE, London, New York
RachelPOV. BRONZE, London, New York

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations

What is the first thing you do when YOU wake up? Start your daily routine? Pray? Check your social media on your phone? Relax?

Well, for many of us the first action we take is to check our phones. It’s as if we are mentally and physically connected our phones if we don’t check them we feel incomplete or possibly not even normal! But when did this start? When did we start to feel unattached from the world without our phones? Don’t get me wrong technology and social media has its benefits but why does it have such a hold on us?! Instead of using our minds we rely on technology to do everything for us, we’ve made so many things in our lives unnatural through the use of technology; things become staged instead of a natural moment.

For example, In the past when your friends lived around your area, getting up to the craziest of things on your bikes, by foot; you didn’t have to compare how much you're having to others by checking snap chat stories. Another example; going on dates with the person you have feelings for and not stressing to take the best picture on Instagram, so everyone can comment ‘Couple goals’ or even meeting people in person although  social media can expand your social life for the better, but it can be unsafe and sometimes you don’t really know someone properly until you're with them in person. Also meeting people in first, you can discuss first impressions before knowing anything about them, but through social media you’ve already talked before meeting the person and probably know details about the person before you’ve actually talked to them by checking their profile; also the person could create another personality or appearance behind the screen. Before ‘Instagram famous stars’ you didn’t have to worry about following ‘The Instagram look’ there were so many unique trends, different hairstyles, different ways to style your gel, various choice of how to dress, random colours etc.

I love technology, It’s a good form of entertainment it can make a lot of things easier but, we need to gain control once again and not let technology/social media control our lives, minds, and happiness.

on Oct. 5 2016 at 2:08 pm
RachelPOV. BRONZE, London, New York

really slimthick, thank you b:)

slimthick01 said...
on Sep. 5 2016 at 11:33 am
Wow, Rachel. This is really good! I completely agree with what you're saying as well. It would be great if more people had the same mindset as you :)