Gun Rights | Teen Ink

Gun Rights

February 26, 2015
By Anonymous

How do you protect your loved ones and yourself? Do you trust who people tell you to, or do you want the assurance of being able to defend yourself? One of the ways people are able to guard themselves is by owning a gun. People have used guns for decades in order to preserve  peace, make a living, and simply for entertainment. There has been a lot of controversy over gun control in foreign as well as local news lately. Although it is a great responsibility and gives people incredible power, it’s is a Constitutionally given right for Americans to be able to bear arms and defend themselves. It is just and beneficial for individuals, as well as society as a whole, for people to be able to own and carry guns around in order to secure the lives of their loved ones,their own lives,and their personal property.


People need to be able to protect themselves from the cruelty of those who use guns for illegal and immoral purposes. Everybody is aware of the threat of home invaders. When a break-in occurs the damage could cost thousands, but when there is a member of the household present during the crime, the outcome could become traumatic and even deadly. A survey revealed that “...law-abiding American citizens using guns in self-defense during 2003 shot and killed two and one-half times as many criminals as police did”(Disarming the Myths,1). The citizens are usually able to simply scare off an intruder when they show a gun, but are sometimes forced to use it in order to ensure their survival. The people at home could be little kids or scared mothers, and police are often unable to arrive in time to protect them. Make sure home and family are safe by helping the cause for gun rights.There are many other ways that guns are able to promote a safer society..Being the seventh most common crime in America, “...aggravated assaults account for about seven percent of the total crimes in America…[and include] physical aggression out of racism, sexual assaults and even violence arising out of mob action”.In sixth place “...There are around one hundred thousand people who are raped every year in the US and ninety nine percent of these victims are women”(Top 10,1). These devastating crimes can permanently scar victims for life and even if the criminal is caught and punished,the things they have done will never be forgotten.These evil acts are most commonly done to those who are seen as weaker and therefore easier targets in society. When somebody is physically outmatched,the only way the protect themselves is to be armed with a firearm. With some basic training, any women or child would be able to get themselves out of a dangerous situation without risking their life. A more drastic  way that guns can empower endangered cicilians is in the tragic events of public shootings. The school shooting of Sandy Hook led to a huge gun control debate, and pushes a one teacher to say “I think every teacher should carry[a gun.]...We are the first line of defense.”(Teachers with Guns,1). Senator Rand Paul believes “That if someone there had had a concealed carry, if someone had been armed, they might have had a fighting chance. They might not have saved everybody, but they might have been able to save some of those.”(Kingkade,1). The innocent students and faculty need to at least have the opportunity to be able to carry guns. Its only just that people should be able to implement new safety precations into the life so that they are able to have a sound mind.Teachers would be trained and shown how to responsibly own a gun, and these simple measures could result in a kid’s life being saved. Even if it’s just one kid, isn’t it worth it? Kids are unable to properly protect themselves, and it is the duty of their parents and those in charge of them to protect them. In order to protect yourselves and your family, guns need to be a part of your life. Don’t take any chances, and be prepared so that you don’t get caught unarmed and defenseless.
Criminals would be able to get guns even if it was illegal to own one, because they are already illegally obtaining guns.They know how and where to get them thanks to their habitual procedures,so making it illegal to own a firearm would only disarm the general public and make them  vulnerable to the criminals are still able to obtain them. “ Nearly 60% of the guns used in crimes are traced back to a small number—just 1.2%—of crooked gun dealers”(Fact Sheet,1). These people profit greatly from their shady deals, and since they are already disobeying the laws, why would more laws stop them? Even in a highly gun controlled place like “ ... France, there are an estimated 10 million to 20 million illegal weapons alone...Many automatic “war weapons”... are bought by gun collectors, organized crime affiliates and, as was the case, [in the Paris massacre], terrorists.”(Charlie Hebdo Massacre,1). Europe highly restricts firearms, yet they still have many due to illegal gun trafficking. If people want to get guns, they will find a way. There is no way to completely destroy an illegal business no matter how how many actions we take, because there is always going to be a few people who are able to get around the law. The only way to deal with these criminal acts is to take defensive precautions and be able to stand up against them. Gun rights will level the playing field and help individuals protect themselves in this corrupt society.


Some people believe that a ban of guns would lead to a decrease in violent crime rates. This is a miscalculated argument due to the fact that in most circumstances the presence of more armed civilians has led to decreased crime rate.Gun promotion techniques like “...the right-to-carry law [caused] the Texas murder rate [to] average 30% lower...and  Michigan murder rate [to] average 4% lower “(Gun Control,1).The encouraging of firearms creates a better environment where criminals don’t have an advantage because the citizens are able to fight back.  On the other hand, when handgun laws were tightened and restricted,“ Washington, D.C. murder rates averaged 73% higher...[and]Chicago murders committed with handguns has averaged about 40% higher,”  Places with strict gun laws like Brazil and Detroit also have the highest crime rates. The pressure of stricter gun laws doesn’t deter criminals from doing what they want. The strengthening of gun laws only works on law-abiding citizens; thereby disarming those who had no bad intentions in the first place. This also makes it easier for criminals to overpower citizens and take advantage of the governments attempts to improve safety. People shouldn’t be afraid of guns;you just have to understand them and be able to see their benefits. Getting rid of guns might slightly bring down gun violence, but as shown, overall crime isn’t affected. People will find other weapons and continue to commit violent crimes. The public use of guns improves the overall welfare of a community as well as advancing its inhabitants’ perspective of crime and ability to do something about it.
The allowance of citizens to own and carry guns is justice in that it allows the good citizens to remain safe and secure. It is an individual freedom to be able to defend yourself. There are always those you will misuse their rights, and the only way to get around them is to get protection. In order to insure that you won’t be defenseless, you need to promote gun rights. Many states are considering stricter gun control, and it is your responsibility to get involved and fight for your rights. Protect your family and yourself by making sure you’ll be able to own a gun.

 

"Charlie Hebdo Massacre: Illegal Gun Trafficking Brings Millions Of Weapons Into The EU." International Business Times. Web. 26 Feb. 2015. .
"Disarming the Myths Promoted By the Gun Control Lobby." Forbes. Forbes Magazine. Web. 24 Feb. 2015. .
"Fact Sheet: Illegal Gun Trafficking Arms Criminals & Youth." Gun Victims Action Council RSS. Web. 24 Feb. 2015. .
"Gun Control - Just Facts." Gun Control - Just Facts. Web. 24 Feb. 2015. .
Kingkade, Tyler. "Rand Paul: Sandy Hook Shooting Could Have Been Prevented If Teachers Had Guns." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com. Web. 24 Feb. 2015. .
"Teachers with Guns on School Property Feel Able to Protect Students." NY Daily News. Web. 24 Feb. 2015.      .
"Top 10 Most Common Crimes in America - List Dose." List Dose. 16 Aug. 2013. Web. 26 Feb. 2015. .