Social Networks: Advantages and Disadvantages | Teen Ink

Social Networks: Advantages and Disadvantages

August 12, 2014
By lenamarie11 BRONZE, New York, New York
lenamarie11 BRONZE, New York, New York
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You don't have to be what the world tells you that you are" - Pete Wentz


There are many different opinions to social networks. Some think it is stupid to share every single thought with the world even if it is very unnecessary, some think that it is the best way to tell your friends what you are doing or to see what they are going to do. People and society is always fighting about whether there are more risks or useful opportunities.

+
A big advantage of social networks is, that you can stay in touch with your friends and family from all around the world. So, you can send them a picture or post some funny videos on their “wall” to make them see it. For example, if your son or your daughter is living maybe somewhere in the US and he/she has a child that you are barely seeing in Austria, it’s wonderful to have a social network like Facebook, where you see some new photographs and some important information about your proper grandchild’s childhood.

+
Another huge benefit is that if you press “like” or “follow” on pages or blogs that you are interested to, you always get the newest piece of information and you always be up to date. Also, you know about every event from your favourite band, for instance. You will be informed about the bar, the club or the stadium where they have their gig. Thus, you will be as close as possible on your star’s life.

-
The probably worst disadvantage of social networks is that your whole life is saved on the internet forever. That means, nothing can be completely removed from your browser. If you are on social networks, everyone can find you there. So, it’s a big risk of being stalked by someone dangerous. They may find out where you live to rape or injure you because of such strange reasons, that not even them could complain it logically.

-
The social networks are making you lazy too. You will spend too much time on reading blogs and writing statuses. However, in this time you could have gone to a public place or something else to meet your friends. Also, your grades at school may get worse because you spend your time for studying on browsing through the world wide web searching for new pieces od information or things to share with your friends. You soon can become addicted to social networks, which is obviously not good, but if you are careful and still use your free time spending with your friends and books for school, everything is alright.

My own opinion is, that social networks are fundamental a very good thing, because you have all your friends, not essential how far they are away, “around” you. I use some networks even everyday and I try nit to post too much information about my location or my plans. Despite the big disadvantages, I will still use my Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., because sometimes I need just pieces of information of things I am really interested to.

After all, you will see that if you use your networks or in general personal stuff wisely, it is not a problem if you share some things with people you like. Therefore, a huge tip is to just accept people to see you profiles if you really know and like them. Otherwise, you have to count with many disadvantages.