Where to Find Hope | Teen Ink

Where to Find Hope

By Sophiadlt1 PLATINUM, Barcelona, Other
Sophiadlt1 PLATINUM, Barcelona, Other

"You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play."
— Jay Asher (Thirteen Reasons Why)

Human nature is naturally weak, and as humans, we must recognize this weakness. A person longs to somehow better themselves and thus, the world. There are faults in all places and though some take action, action always stems from individual or communal hope. Be it a hope of societal stratification, or an improved overall quality of life, hope persists as a decisive attribute of human experience for all. Hope has perpetually served as a foundation for human reactivity and ingenuity, it is what cause the world to go around. Although the questions regarding where hope manifests and how it is used thereafter arise, it rings true that people find hope in a variety of places. Elements of cultural pattern and day-to-day life defining human hope are thus apparent in religion, in a community, and the individual will to continue in spite of tragedy or hopelessness. Hope serves as a pivotal basis for human reaction to prosperity as well as tragedy, and persists as a central drive in human decision-making.

One of the most common places people turn to during a time of need is religion. Since the first civilizations religion has been a major source of hope and motivation for people. In Arthur Miller’s The Crucible they explain, “Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!” (Miller) In this quote it is clear that John Proctor will not give up his name and is okay with dying because in the end he can only be judged by god. It is this hope that allows him to stay a righteous man, the hope that in final judgment he will be judged correctly, the hope that it does in fact get better.

Religion clearly has an effect on the everyday lives of people. In an instant when things get too hard people look to religion to give them that little push that will move them through the hard times, this is clearly depicted in Carrie Underwood’s song, “Jesus Take the Wheel”. The song depicts a woman who has had a tough year and during the holidays her car slides on a sheet of ice, it is then when she asks, “Jesus take the wheel, Take it from my hands, Cause I can’t do this on my own, I’m letting go.” When all hope is lost and only a little bit of faith is needed to get through the hard times no matter what they may be, Religion, God, Jesus and any other religious figure is a common place to turn to.
When religion does not play a major role in someone’s life they often look towards other people for their hope. In the play A Raisin in the Sun the son, Walter Lee puts hope into a man that has promised him to make them rich. He promises that if he gives him money than his investment will be returned with a substantial amount on top from opening a liquor store. Walter Lee puts all his hope and money into this liquor store idea in an attempt to make a better life for him and his family. Instead the man runs off with his money and Walter Lee is left with nothing, leaving the audience to believe maybe hoping wasn’t worth it.

In the song “I Walk the Line” by Johnny Cash it is clear that he puts all his hope into the woman of his dreams. This girl becomes everything to Cash and she is his reason for living, she is worth walking the line for in his opinion. “ For you I know I’d even try to turn the tide.” Johnny Cash puts all his hope in this girl and she is his reason for continuing on.

Hope in the future keeps people from giving up. Hope in the future is the reason for many people to get up in the morning or continue on in life. In The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald from the time that Gatsby is a young boy he keeps a journal of the life he wants to have. He has imaginative dreams and hopes to one day acquire them. Gatsby wanted a beautiful house where he could live with the love of his life and unfortunately, though he is hopeful in the future he does not necessarily acquire everything he dreamed of having.

In Maya Angelou’s poem “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” there is a perfect description of hope for the future. At first in the poem the bird is free and soaring and then he becomes caged and unable to soar free. However the caged bird continues to sing out of hope for the future. “For the caged bird sings of freedom,” and one day will be free.

One of the most hopeless characters of all times can be found in JD Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye. Holden often feels hopeless at times and he does not seem to put any hope in a specific religion or person. At the end of the book we see a glimmer of hope about the future but hope is often lost for Holden. He seems to move through life as a hopeless enigma with nowhere to go and no real purpose in life.

Hope can be found in different places for everyone. Some find hope by going to church and praying for the things they want. Others find hope in people and place all their faith in human nature. Some just hope that things will improve, that the future will somehow be better. Very few are hopeless and even in the most hopeless of situations humans can find the will to power on and find the last bits of hope in the world.