ObamaCare and the Shutdown | Teen Ink

ObamaCare and the Shutdown

By Silent_Muse GOLD, Belle Mead, New Jersey
Silent_Muse GOLD, Belle Mead, New Jersey

As ObamaCare has started, the government has halted—at least, temporarily. Republicans, whose opposition to large federal government involvement is deeply rooted in history, stand against the enforcement of ObamaCare. They believe that healthcare should be left up to the states, which use money given by the federal government. Many citizens have also cried in opposition, “Keep your government hands off my Medicare!” Ironically, Medicare is a federal health insurance program; the government has had its hands on Medicare since it started.

Another concern of this legislation is the rise in taxes. Money must come from somewhere in order to fund this program. Thus, when lower class people receive universal healthcare, they become dependent on taxpayers. In capitalist-oriented minds, this exemplifies lazy Americans who cannot and will not earn their keep. Furthermore, the Act intrudes on Americans’ right to choose their health coverage. ObamaCare shifts the United States closer to Socialist status and primarily benefits the poor, “reaping” money from those who must pay for the program.

ObamaCare, also known as the Affordable Care Act, is not simply a philanthropic attempt to allow everyone access to health, a concept which is believed to be a fundamental human right. Although proponents of this Act utilize pathos, and Michelle Obama gives her touching story about caring for her daughter’s health and believing everyone should have the safety net of health insurance, ObamaCare has a much less known economic benefit. Today, those who do not have health insurance are allowed to enter a hospital and receive treatment for free. Hospitals are not allowed to turn away any patients: could you imagine an indigent on the brink of death being rejected from a hospital because he cannot afford healthcare? American people’s taxes go to pay for these people. ObamaCare resolves that problem.

Regardless of these opposing arguments, the ongoing government shutdown is not so much about the latter concepts as it is about stubborn political parties. ObamaCare has always been iconic of Democrats while opposition to ObamaCare has always been iconic of Republicans. If one had to give in, that political party would essentially lose its identity and what it stands for. And so, the many non-essential jobs are gone, leaving behind employees who depend on those salaries. Even more urgent, the debt ceiling is going to be reached very soon. If the shutdown proceeds beyond October 17th, when the government runs out of money to pay its bills, the American economy will fall down the rabbit hole and hear the Queen of Heart’s “Off with their heads!” And, if that were to happen, the downfall of American markets will directly impact foreign nations whom the United States trades with. For example, China, who relies heavily on American consumers, will see millions of factory workers out of work and protesting on the streets. The government must raise the debt ceiling—that is, if the shutdown ends in time to pass the legislation.

The political parties likely will end their standoff by then, unless they wish to lose complete faith of the American people and destroy the global economy. Even now, not all part members agree with the shutdown. The Republican conservatives, including John McCain, want the shutdown to simply stop. He argues that this is a battle that the Republicans cannot win. It is not out of the realm of possibility that the conservative Republicans may split off into a third party. The emergence of a third party will most definitely shake up the current political situation and will probably take on a stance that truly represents the people, whose ideals are neither Republican nor Democratic, but moderate.

The government shutdown has economic and political implications. Overall, the more pressing matter is the economy. The shutdown does not just mean the closure of national parks. There are businesses that depend on national parks such as hotels, rangers, restaurants near the entrance to these parks—these businesses and owners lose their source of income. Also, the non-essential jobs, from NASA scientists to those who pick up trash, all of whom lose money for an indefinite amount of time.

The shutdown also impacts those not under government jobs. The panic and insecurity of the shutdown has caused the stock market to drop. If this continues, and if it is not resolved by the time the debt ceiling deadline is reached, people will panic and stop spending money. Businesses and firms will lose revenue and cut down on employees. The loss of jobs will instigate tighter spending, and the cycle will continue downward.

When, or if the political parties resolve their issues before the deadline, they should not expect Americans to be honoring those last minute economy-saving actions. The people will be relieved, but many more so will be angered. Consequently, the outcome of this shutdown could and likely will be a direct influence on the next presidential election.

Sitting back and watching waiting for news is all America can do. The conflicting political ideologies held by a childish stubbornness, and large price the economy must pay portray what has happened to the federal government’s role. Add on the horribly biased news channels that show blatant support for particular sides—and here is modern 21st century America.

This was written on October 5, 2013.