Life | Teen Ink

Life MAG

By Anonymous

     Life is really important to me; it is a privilege just being here. To me, life is something that should be experienced as fun, amusing and interesting. It shouldn’t be taken for granted because you never what day will be your last. You shouldn’t hold grudges because you never know what could happen next. At the age of nine, I learned that.

It was the summer before fifth grade and my best friend Neesah and I were playing. We got into an argument, which turned physical. Our fight was broken up by my older cousin, Tiffany. I remember Neesah storming out of my grandmother’s house saying, “I hope we never speak again!”

I replied, “ Good, I don’t need you as a friend!”

I went into the house trying to calm myself only to hear screaming and yelling. My cousin rushed in saying that Neesah had been hit. As she was crossing the road, a street sweeper came through and, unable to see her small body, hit her. I felt awful. I wished it had been me instead because I realized it could all have been avoided if we hadn’t had that argument.

When the ambulance arrived a few minutes later, she was pronounced dead. I was a complete mess. I attended therapy with a psychologist for the rest of the summer, whom I believe is the reason I am where I am mentally.

I miss Neesah so much and always think of her. She taught me how precious life is and that you should never hold a grudge because you never know when you’ll see that person again.