Strengthening Weakness | Teen Ink

Strengthening Weakness MAG

As I tromp down the boardwalk, I try to psych myself up. The seals play in the ocean, reminding me that I am in one of the most beautiful places in the world - the fjord-like region of British Columbia. To my right, the jagged mountains tower like the task that lies ahead. I arrive at the outer dock and wait as the Malibu Princess glides toward me.

As the colossal ship kisses the dock, a whirlwind begins and we jump into the hold. My team and I are supposed to unload food, supplies and luggage for 300 high-school campers. As we form an assembly line, boxes and suitcases start to soar toward me and I hold my arms out, praying that I will not drop anything into the water. Catch, toss, catch, toss, hurry, catch, toss, catch, toss. Someone shouts, “Hurry up! We’ve got to get this ship unloaded!”

I push myself to the limits, but the huge bags race into my arms with enough force to knock my five-foot-two, not-so-strong figure over. My arms begin to shake as muscle fatigue sets in. I push myself harder; I cannot quit, I cannot be the one who drops everything. The assembly line consists of guys except for one other girl who has arms toned from competitive swimming. As another box flies toward me and falls, I realize that I cannot lift one more thing. I want to cry. I wish I were stronger. I have to lift these packages. I bite my lip and persevere. Some packages drop, but the man across from me helps pick them up and encourages me to keep going. Finally, we complete transferring the 20,000 pounds of freight off the boat.

Total exhaustion. My arms shake and within a few hours, my entire forearms are a deep, blue bruise. In my fatigue, I painfully wish I could have lifted the freight with the ease of some of the others, but my body could not keep up. The experience was humbling, but in my weakness, I grew. The next day, I was faster and dropped fewer boxes. More importantly, however, I learned that when I was trying my best and still could not manage, it was fine to receive help; it was okay for someone to lift me (or the box) up.

As hard as we try, this world does not always allow us to do everything we want, but we have friends and family that can lend a hand when we are too weak. We just have to let them.

on Nov. 17 2015 at 10:55 am
LittleRedDeliriousPrince SILVER, Parma Heights, Ohio
I agree with Bethani; sometimes we need to forget our own pride and accept help from others. I have that problem sometimes. I always have to do things myself. Anyway, it was a great article, very entertaining to read

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

please check out my work at annoymous, highlands ranch, colorado. some of my articles are guardian angels, pep band, opening to light, and high on love. please comment and rate thank you!

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

This is a great article! If everyone learned to accept help, our world would be a better place. I know it's hard for us to accept help but we can do it.