Breaking the Firewall | Teen Ink

Breaking the Firewall

By superflashdcfan BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
superflashdcfan BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

If your culture doesn't like geeks, you are in real trouble.

I have always been amazed with Computer Science ever since I was a young girl watching my father code away on his computer. I remember telling my friends about how my dad was a magician who types random combination of words and beautiful things appear. I remember telling my friends how you can type anything you want to a computer and that the computer is like a genie with unlimited wishes, it can give you anything you desire as long as you speak the sacred language. But, we live in a society that does not allow girls to aspire to become C.S. wizzes or the future of tomorrow’s search engine, social networking site, medical research, or space discovery. To do any of these tasks, computer science is an essential and necessary skill. In today’s world , almost every industry has opportunities for those who study computer science.  But, women only make up 26% of professional computing professions in the U.S., and  only 12% of  undergraduate computer science majors were women according to the U.S. Department of  Labor. These figures are depressing at most for not only women , but also  the nation as a whole. The nation’s computer science industry lacks the intelligence of millions of women who could innovate and create astounding technology that is necessary for modernization. The root cause of these disappointing statistics is gender stereotypes perpetrated by sexist portrayals of those who work in computer science. The media portrays the typical programmer as a young man with ruffled hair in a completely dark room whose been programming since he was a toddler. This image of a programmer is the reason that many females either show complete disinterest, or leave them feeling completely intimidated. Luckily, there are organizations, which encourage young girls to code. These programs include Girls Who Code. Luckily with the help of these organizations, we can break the gender disparity and gap of men and females in computing.

M own love of anything related to STEM education and my feminist desires to have more women in science inspired me to write this piece.