Redefining Feminism | Teen Ink

Redefining Feminism

By Sara Bixler BRONZE, Milton, Delaware
Sara Bixler BRONZE, Milton, Delaware

Dear Teen Ink Readers:

For many generations everyone has had a preconceived idea that feminist assert women are better than men, creating a “hot topic” for discussion, however “Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” Recently, Emma Watson launched her #HeForShe campaign to empower feminists to advocate for the recognition that the only difference between a man and a woman is an X or Y chromosome. I urge both men and women to join the #HeForShe movement in order to give everyone’s voice a chance to be heard.

Generations of women, like Susan B. Anthony and Maya Angelou, were denied opportunities from lower wages to suffrage. However through these hardships, women let their voices be heard: Rosie the Riveter, a cultural icon, symbolized female strength during World War II; Coco Chanel transposed the world of fashion by wearing pants and suits in a generation of skirts and dresses; and Angelina Jolie denunciates the modern media’s view of female sexuality. Women should join the #HeForShe campaign as an outlet to express their voices and find pride in their gender.

But so should men. In fact, Watson declared at a UN Convention, “Men- I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation.” #HeForShe breathes life to the idea that gender equality affects both men and women. For every girl tired of being called over-sensitive, a boy fears expressing his emotions; for every boy who feels pressured to prove his masculinity through competition, a girl is stereotyped as unfeminine when she competes; modern media attacks self-esteem of both girls and boys. Feminism’s goal to eradicate the barriers between genders becomes achievable when people recognize and act upon the opposition to the status quo. Men should join the #HeForShe campaign to find their own voice and optimize the confidence in their gender.

While some people may argue that one person’s support for #HeForShe will not influence a change in the way feminism is viewed, they are wrong: when one person speaks out on behalf of gender equality, a voice is given to the voiceless. As voices come together, they reach ears that need to hear this message the most, causing the movement to spread like wild fire. Your voice matters, and by supporting #HeForShe it will be heard.

Join the movement that celebrates men and women as equal people, both in strength and opportunity. All people have voices, and both continually demand to be heard. Express your support for gender equality by joining the #HeForShe campaign.

For more information or to join the campaign visit the following website today.
http://www.heforshe.org/