Human | Teen Ink

Human

April 17, 2015
By Meghann99 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Meghann99 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Humans, you know one when you see one, but we all are very different.  It seems as though some act as if the differences are something weird, treating people like an object, animal, or alien. Black vs. white, Muslim vs. Christianity, young vs. old, rich vs. poor; people are always comparing each other, and arguing about who is the best.


A lot of what you see on the news is bad.  We see ISIS beheading Christians, black people robbing banks, the young getting into trouble, the homeless begging on the streets, and the rich being frivolous.  What we don’t see are the Muslims fighting terrorism, black people becoming the CEO’s, kids picking up trash, the homeless filling out applications, and the rich setting up charities for soccer balls for Brazil.  You will only know half the story if you don’t take the time to read the rest of the book.


In Amery we often we don’t see much diversity. When we see and hear about unimaginable things like this, it’s easy to assume all of that group is the same. If you don’t experience something first hand it’s hard to know what exactly that is.  For example, just because you bite into a bad apple, doesn’t mean they are all sour. Shirley Chisholm (author, American politician, and speaker) once said, "In the end anti-black, anti-female, and all forms of discrimination are equivalent to the same thing: anti-humanism.”


The definition of a good person doesn’t have to deal with any of the kinds of people I listed in the beginning.
What I believe makes a good person, is not by what they are, or who they are; but how they live their life. If someone has good intentions, I would have to believe they are a good person.