Is Black History Month Still Needed? | Teen Ink

Is Black History Month Still Needed?

February 10, 2011
By 12345678910 GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey
12345678910 GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey
14 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The truth is that this is the only way I can live: in two directions. I need two lives. I am two beings."
-Anais Nin


As we all should know, February is Black History Month. Ever since 1926, this month has been a “national annual observance honoring and celebrating the achievements of African-Americans.” At the time, only about 60 years after the end of the Civil War, this holiday seems to have been absolutely essential to finally commemorating African-Americans for the achievements that were once overlooked by a prejudice society. However, in our modern nation where there is now total racial equality, is it still really needed? Just a little over two years ago, the first African-American president, Barack Obama, was elected through our country’s democracy system. For the majority of citizens, race was clearly not an issue at all, which shows how far American haves come from the time of the Civil War. Although this month definitely served a purpose at the time it was created, that purpose is no longer needed in our current state of social equality. If we have a special month to celebrate historical African-American figures, why not have a special month to celebrate the Italian ones, the ones with blonde hair, or those whose names start with the letter C? In modern history books and schools, African-Americans are learned about and respected just as much as people from any other ethnicity or culture in the United States. Therefore, this month of remembrance is no longer needed due to the state of racial equality our nation has thankfully achieved.