Stereotypical Assumptions | Teen Ink

Stereotypical Assumptions MAG

With Green Day lyricsplaying in my head, I strolled into our local Wal-Mart with my mother and sister,excited to purchase a new set of headphones. For the day's attire, I'd chosenlong khaki shorts, a black band logo shirt, knee-high black socks, Globe skateshoes, and my cute Pokey backpack. As I walked along, I tried not to payattention to the fact that I was being stared at more than usual.

I foundthe electronics section and looked for the aisle with headphones. Then I sawthem, gleaming in their plastic packaging; you have to understand, my oldheadphones were terrible, so I was excited. I began to scan each row, looking forthe perfect set at the perfect price.

I didn't pay much attention to theemployee who looked down the aisle as I decided on a small silver headset. But inthe midst of grabbing my chosen prize, I noticed the same employee look down theaisle again. I froze, and thought, No way, you're overreacting. It can't be. So,headset in hand, I walked to the end of the aisle and looked over. The employeewas nowhere to be seen. I shrugged and looked back down my aisle only to see herat the other end, looking at me! I was startled and quite upset, so I gave her anodd look and started walking to the other side of the section. I wanted to seewhat would happen, and hoped I was imagining things. There I pretended to browse,then turned around. The employee was right there! She turned quickly to fixsomething that wasn't out of place. I was infuriated and humiliated at how I wasbeing treated. Not once was I asked if I needed help, but the whole time, I wasspied on. I am under the assumption that she thought I was a thief and I left thesection feeling extremely uncomfortable.

I find it really sad that thistype of treatment goes on. This woman, who did not know me at all, thought Iwould steal. I was appalled by this experience that probably goes on all thetime. No one has the right to judge someone because they fit some stereotype.

massacre said...
on Apr. 8 2011 at 11:06 am
massacre, Lakewood, Washington

"Hate is a word for somebody you love but no longer believe in."

I agree with you completely. My "style" is punk-ish most of the time, and "ghetto" others, but everywhere I go, people tend to keep a closer eye on me than they would my little brother. I think that it's terrible the way that teens are treated just because of the way that they dress or how they look. Thanks for speaking out!