Confessions of a Privileged Black Female | Teen Ink

Confessions of a Privileged Black Female

February 9, 2018
By Alonderz26 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Alonderz26 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

  I found Tara Julien's "Confessions of a Privileged Black Female" extremely empowering and true as she stated the visible bias in society towards African Americans. I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that "ignorance can be just as harmful to our society" as people are unaware of the impact of their words or actions on others. Stereotypes, as she mentioned, play a big role as people follow them whether it's unknowingly or not and causes assumptions of certain races or groups. People need to evaluate their treatment towards others rather than following society's ignorant view; Tara Julien makes that point very clear as we should "strive to create a truly tolerant society." This topic is prevalent and crucial to the world we live in today and therefore actions must take place for a change. Thank you Tara for using your voice to advocate equality and tolerance in our society, I'm positive every person who reads this will be impacted just as I am and realize our issue with racial behaviors.