Feedback on The Mini Cupcake Crisis | Teen Ink

Feedback on The Mini Cupcake Crisis

By mariyanovosad GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mariyanovosad GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Personally, eating a mini cupcake is a simple task for me to complete. However, that isn’t always the case for everyone. In “The Mini Cupcake Crisis,” by “Alexandra,” readers learn about how much of a difference that same mini cupcake can do to someone struggling with anorexia. They are taught about the pain, the strength, and the courage the six teenagers, described in the text, go through.
     It was riveting to see a first person perspective on the recovery of anorexia. As shown throughout the piece, not everyone understands the harm anorexia does to an individual’s physical health, but also mental state. One does not realize the lack of control and willpower that is felt by someone dealing with an eating disorder, and they occasionally are reluctant to comprehending the actual truth. Thus, to see “Alexandra” conquer such a humongous challenge by eating the mini cupcake was inspiring to see. The reader sees the progress of a girl who “was at the will of [her] disorder” develop into someone who is very content with herself, as she describes in the last paragraph, in just a page. As a result, one feels proud and is left with a feeling of hope.