Ashes That Fall Around Us | Teen Ink

Ashes That Fall Around Us MAG

By proudly-nerdy SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
proudly-nerdy SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"One of the hardest things in life is having words your heart can't utter" - Darth Vader (James Earl Jones more precisely)
AS WELL AS:
"AAAAARRRRRHHHHHHHUUUUNNGGGGHHHH" - Chewbacca (gets me every time :(

When I started reading “Ashes That Fall Around Us” in the September issue, I assumed it would be like most fiction pieces – its plot wouldn’t reflect issues in today’s world. However, three paragraphs into the story, I realized this wasn’t the case. Caroline Davis brilliantly combines controversial current events with fiction, making her story all the more believable. It’s a skill I admire and hope to master.

Caroline’s story is set in war-torn Syria. She helps the reader understand the conflict the main character is facing, and why such conflict exists. Each character has a purpose, never leaving us with loose ends or turning out to be trivial to the plot. The story’s ending ties together well; it doesn’t leave us guessing the fate of the main character, as many other authors do.

Caroline did a splendid job capturing the attention of her audience and writing about the characters as if she knew them personally. “Ashes That Fall Around Us” is a beautiful short story that I recommend if you have not read it.