Life Lessons From OCD | Teen Ink

Life Lessons From OCD

By Long_Ly SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
Long_Ly SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

Psychology has always been an interesting subject for me. It's a shame my highschool does not teach it, like some other highschools in California I've heard of. Your article, Life Lessons From OCD, is very informative and draws a fine between the casual use of the term "OCD" and the pretty horrifying medical use of the term. You describes your experience with OCD as imagining "the worse-case scenarios" that linger anxiety and irrational fear in otherwise unlikely environments. As an example, the author fears every night  there is a chance she might have left her doors unlocked, and an intruder will enter. Whether she locks up her doors or not, that thought of an unlikely scenario sticks in her head like a sore thumb causing her to always be paranoid. Although there may also be other people who go through the same though process every night, the anxiety that you experiences is of a larger magnitude. Thats what seperates a normal person from a person with a mental illness such as OCD. Your acticle has taught me that mental illness is a very real thing and should not be dismissed as someone being crazy.