My Dream Is Taking Off | Teen Ink

My Dream Is Taking Off MAG

January 23, 2017
By HannahSaulnier PLATINUM, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
HannahSaulnier PLATINUM, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
35 articles 2 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"
"There is no darkness strong enough in this world that can diminish the light in our hearts."
-Kingdom Hearts


In sixth grade, I really began to write. It quickly became an addiction. A few friends and I started a writing club in ninth grade and sponsored an author to come to our school. That’s when I realized I wanted to be an author too.


Tenth grade I joined a WIN period for writers who want to be published. That’s where I discovered Teen Ink. My short story “A Christmas Surprise” was the first thing I submitted, and it was posted on TeenInk.com. I started to submit more work, mostly poems, and then added some photos.


In 2016, my poem “Break Away From Pain” received an Editors’ Choice award. That same year, I became a VIP on TeenInk.com, and my poem “You’re Not Me” was voted #1 by other Teen Ink members and featured on the front page of the site’s poetry section.


After a year and a half of dreaming of being a published author, I now am one. “Break Away From Pain” was printed in Teen Ink’s February issue, and is estimated to be seen by half a million readers. I’ve taken that next step toward my dream becoming a reality, and I couldn’t be happier.


It’s all thanks to Teen Ink. While so many told me that my dream might never be achieved, I proved that anything is possible. Teen Ink, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. You’re the reason my dream is taking off!