My Dream Is Taking Off | Teen Ink

My Dream Is Taking Off MAG

By HannahSaulnier PLATINUM, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
HannahSaulnier PLATINUM, Manitowoc, Wisconsin

"The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"
"There is no darkness strong enough in this world that can diminish the light in our hearts."
-Kingdom Hearts

In sixth grade, I really began to write. It quickly became an addiction. A few friends and I started a writing club in ninth grade and sponsored an author to come to our school. That’s when I realized I wanted to be an author too.

Tenth grade I joined a WIN period for writers who want to be published. That’s where I discovered Teen Ink. My short story “A Christmas Surprise” was the first thing I submitted, and it was posted on TeenInk.com. I started to submit more work, mostly poems, and then added some photos.

In 2016, my poem “Break Away From Pain” received an Editors’ Choice award. That same year, I became a VIP on TeenInk.com, and my poem “You’re Not Me” was voted #1 by other Teen Ink members and featured on the front page of the site’s poetry section.

After a year and a half of dreaming of being a published author, I now am one. “Break Away From Pain” was printed in Teen Ink’s February issue, and is estimated to be seen by half a million readers. I’ve taken that next step toward my dream becoming a reality, and I couldn’t be happier.

It’s all thanks to Teen Ink. While so many told me that my dream might never be achieved, I proved that anything is possible. Teen Ink, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. You’re the reason my dream is taking off!

TheVG GOLD said...
TheVG GOLD, Fair Haven, Vermont
Loved this! It gives me hope for my own writing future! Hopefully I'll get to read some of your wonderful work soon, and I wish you all of the best on your next adventures!

on Apr. 7 2017 at 11:56 am

-Kingdom Hearts

Teen Ink does have a lot of really cool things. One thing I really like about Teen Ink is that they have forums where you can share your work, get feedback, or even co-author something. Other writing websites that I'm on don't really do that.

surya_k BRONZE said...
on Jan. 27 2017 at 7:58 am
surya_k BRONZE, Chennai, Other

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies ... The man who never reads lives only one. - George R R Martin

This was really good. It made me think about all the cool stuff on TeenInk!