Old World, Meet New | Teen Ink

Old World, Meet New MAG

By katherine_k SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
katherine_k SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

I can’t image relating to a piece more than “Old World, Meet New” by “Andrea.” This Travel & Culture article about the writer learning to accept her family’s Russian traditions perfectly describes how hard it can be to be a part of your family’s culture.

I, too, am a girl whose parents immigrated from Russia. I’m grateful for what they sacrificed in coming here. They left behind everything they knew to start a life in America, all for the sake of me and my sister. All they took with them was their Russian culture, which, as Andrea says, can be a burden to any teen. Like her, I am constantly being pressured to hold onto my roots and act “like a lady.”

The expectations of Russian women can be hard to fulfill. Although Andrea doesn’t see the point in lying to her parents, sometimes I do, when the endless cycle of guilt-tripping and yelling gets too much to handle. However, I know that my parents love me and aren’t doing any of this to make me miserable, but rather because they are afraid of losing their traditions.

I am who I am because of my Russian culture. I can’t help but agree with Andrea that some roots we just can’t break free of.