Everyone Knows Someone | Teen Ink

Everyone Knows Someone MAG

May 19, 2016
By st91333 BRONZE, Hastings, Michigan
st91333 BRONZE, Hastings, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The health article, “Everyone Knows Someone,” was totally relatable for me. The author, Nicole Kean, wrote about how people with mental illnesses are often forced to hide their problems because mental illness is still seen as a weakness or even a danger.


I have witnessed first-hand just how destructive it can be for somebody to hold it all in. My friends have had depression and anxiety, but looking at them and the way they live their lives, you would never know. They hid it because they didn’t want people to think they were weak or strange, but doing that was harmful. They engaged in self-harm and were suicidal because they didn’t understand why they felt the way they did.


What we need to make people aware of – especially those suffering from mental illnesses – is that there is nothing wrong with them. Depression and anxiety are very common, and treatable. We as a society need to stop shaming people so they will feel comfortable enough to open up to their doctors and get treatment.


I believe Nicole hit the nail right on the head. We need to stop judging people and be more willing to listen.


The author's comments:

This is in response to the article in the April issue "Everyone Knows Someone"