“Little Things” | Teen Ink

“Little Things”

December 9, 2015
By Cabbages SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Cabbages SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Namrata V.’s short memoir had been about what it had been like for her having a younger sister. Relatable and heartwarming, the story had encompassed Namrata’s experiences as an older sibling, showing little Appu the way. Despite being the one to teach Appu and guide her as a role model, Namrata had often times learned of and experienced the many wonders of the world alongside her – as friends and equals. The short story Little Things is as little as one would expect from such a title, but it had told of a profound fondness and an indescribable connection between two siblings as they forego life.
   

The story had begun with Namrata describing what her mom had been like having conceived Appu, describing her as if she were creating life before her very eyes. Born on Namrata’s fourth birthday, she had been understandably discouraged and upset – “the nerve of her, stealing my day like it was her birthright!” Upon truly meeting her newborn sister, Namrata’s demeanor changed entirely when she had laid her eyes on Appu’s tiny and adorable features, and when Appu’s mouth quirked up the pair had shared their first smiles. From then on, Namrata and Appu had been inseparable – partners in everything as Appu became a part of everything Namrata did and was. Together, the duo toiled and laughed and cried, finding a common understanding of the world.