My Gaming Addiction | Teen Ink

My Gaming Addiction MAG

By Matthew Wong SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Matthew Wong SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“My Gaming Addiction” is about the struggles of a boy who is considered anti-social because he plays a lot of video games. Just reading the title made me feel a sense of relatedness. I too am a gamer. I'd rather stay in my room playing games than talking to friends. However, “Christopher's” story is especially touching since his video game life clashes with reality.

When I finished this article I thought that the writer showed the world the true life of gamers. I could relate because people would feel sorry for me because I didn't have a large friend pool. He has gone through much worse than I have and was deeply affected by it. He opened the doors and showed the reality to those who view gaming as simply a bad habit.

He mentions that he feels freedom playing games because he can do what he wants inside the video game. I completely agree. Gamers play because they feel a sense of competence and autonomy as they play. They feel accomplished when they finish a level and free when they customize a character. These feelings are actually rarer in reality than some might think, and video games are one of the few places where we can experience them.

“Christopher's” soulful story hit me really close to home, and I'm sure that other gamers will relate as well. We gamers might be unpopular in the real world, but we can be social in the realm of video games. Gaming is not just a pastime, as many think; it's a way of life.