What I've Learned From College Essays | Teen Ink

What I've Learned From College Essays MAG

By WutheringHeights BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
WutheringHeights BRONZE, Seattle, Washington

Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall their

I have been subscribing to Teen Ink for a while now. Devouring my first issue, I found myself astonished by one college essay: “The Truth About Falling Water” by Amanda G. Ever since, college essays have been my favorite section and my first destination when I open the magazine.

Consequently, the April College Issue delighted me. Although I am still four years from having to worry about college, the problem of getting into college is still a terrifying one. With the standards set so high in recent years, I assumed a college essay would have to be very formal, exemplifying one's prowess as a scholarly writer. Instead I have found the essays in Teen Ink to be artfully crafted, even poetic, pieces of creative writing.

In Teen Ink I have found authors who bare their beliefs and hearts to these colleges who could determine their futures. Reading these essays not only gives me insight into the frightening world of college applications, but it also makes me a better writer and person.

Each month I am inspired by the college essays included in the issue. I express that in this letter.

NoHandSigns BRONZE, Puyallup, Washington
Omigoodness. So I just had to comment on this because you just described exactly how I responded to The Truth About Falling Water. It was the first college essay I'd ever read, too, and it's been hanging on my wall ever since. Not only that, but as I was totally spazzing about your comments, I saw that your username is WutheringHeights (which is one of my all-time favorite books) and that you live in Washington. Like omigosh me too. Ok, that's enough of me fangirling. If you have any interest in chatting, though, would you check out my tumblr and message me on there? beautifulwithoutmakeup.tumblr.com Kay, that's all. Have a lovely day!