What I've Learned From College Essays | Teen Ink

What I've Learned From College Essays MAG

April 2, 2012
By WutheringHeights BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
WutheringHeights BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall their


I have been subscribing to Teen Ink for a while now. Devouring my first issue, I found myself astonished by one college essay: “The Truth About Falling Water” by Amanda G. Ever since, college essays have been my favorite section and my first destination when I open the magazine.

Consequently, the April College Issue delighted me. Although I am still four years from having to worry about college, the problem of getting into college is still a terrifying one. With the standards set so high in recent years, I assumed a college essay would have to be very formal, exemplifying one's prowess as a scholarly writer. Instead I have found the essays in Teen Ink to be artfully crafted, even poetic, pieces of creative writing.

In Teen Ink I have found authors who bare their beliefs and hearts to these colleges who could determine their futures. Reading these essays not only gives me insight into the frightening world of college applications, but it also makes me a better writer and person.


The author's comments:
Each month I am inspired by the college essays included in the issue. I express that in this letter.