Avenged Sevenfold | Teen Ink

Avenged Sevenfold

October 13, 2011
By stardust_dragon007 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
stardust_dragon007 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Kevin C’s review about the heavy metal band Avenged Sevenfold, published in the February 2011 issue, was spot-on. I couldn’t agree more with it, and as I read it, a spark of hope lit in me, a spark telling me that I wasn’t the only person listening to heavy metal when everyone else was enjoyed mainstream artists such as Eminem, Rihanna, and Nicki Minaj.
The one thing I have to disagree on, however, is Nightmare being better than some of Avenged Sevenfold’s previous albums. Without Jimmy Sullivan, their songs weren’t nearly as good as older songs. An example would be comparing this album to City of Evil, the third studio album from this band. It’s clear that without their original drummer, the instrumentals aren’t even close to what perfect harmonies were achieved. In The Beast and the Harlot, the first song on City of Evil, Jimmy and Synyster Gates (the lead guitarist) were a match made in heaven. It was perfection, from every note to every beat poured from the soul of this band.
That doesn’t mean that Avenged Sevenfold will be horrible, it just means that they won’t be as good – at least for now. Their new drummer, Arin Ilejay, will have to continue to catch up and try his hardest to match what The Rev did. But for now, all the fans can do is wait, and wait, and wait for new works of art to be released from this legendary band.