Exiled | Teen Ink

Exiled MAG

Reading "Exiled" by Russell Y., I began to wonder if he even knows why Pete Rose was banned from baseball.

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson might have been one of the greatest players of all time, but he will never be in the Hall of Fame. He won't even be remembered as a great player, only as one of those who threw the 1919 "Black Sox" World Series. After that, fans stopped coming and baseball was almost finished for good. Thanks to Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and others, baseball eventually began to regain its integrity and fan base.

Then came Pete Rose, who (I'll admit) had an outstanding career, but he was convicted of betting on baseball, even while he was managing the Cincinnati Reds.

Until recently, Pete maintained he had never bet on baseball, but now he's admitting he did, just not on Reds games (even though many players recall him using the phone inside their clubhouse to bet on Reds games).

Now, Russell, don't you think if a manager knows he has to win by at least three runs (or whatever the spread was), it might influence how he strategizes his game plan? His gambling may have altered baseball history, and on top of that, he lied about it.

Only the chance of getting into the Hall of Fame made him come clean. It seems to me that he's only interested in one thing ... what's best for Pete Rose.

on Oct. 1 2010 at 11:59 am
ScreenName2014 GOLD, West Chester, Ohio

Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone. And do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering. - Ida Scott Taylor

Pete Rose is and always will be one of the greatest ball players to ever take the field. Before he made the mistakes of gambling he broke what people thought to be an unbreakable record. But a 44 year old, out of shape, almost retired basball player did it on September 11th, 1985. He wept with his son when he accomplished this and that is the Pete Rose that belongs in the hall of fame. Yes, he did gamble, and yes he lied about it, but hes still apart of an amazing legacy and everytime he stepped onto the field he gave it his all to give wins to Cincinnati!