Kids These Days | Teen Ink

Kids These Days MAG

In the spirit of January's "Spoiled"

There are many factors contributing to problems in school, but two major ones are ignorance and disrespect. Kids in America are so spoiled and many do not care about the world around them. They only care about themselves. They do not know that 64 kids die in Africa every minute, and frankly they couldn't care less.

Just the other day the yearbook committee at my school was asking for donations to help a boy with leukemia, and do you know what one kid said? "I don't care - let him die." I think this kind of callous disrespect could be prevented if kids read more about different situations they are oblivious too.

Another major issue is kids' lack of respect. They go stampeding around like they are kings and queens. Some seriously believe they are smarter than their teachers. I believe that these kids' parents are not raising them right, letting them do whatever they want. Or maybe it is a lack of discipline. Whatever it is, it needs to stop.

ArchieBoy said...
on Aug. 13 2016 at 2:55 am
So you raise a few interesting points, in these few short paragraphs. There are certainly a lot of problems in schools, however I would ask that you clarify which schools you are talking about, and learn about where they are located rather than blithely throwing all schools and their attendees under a blanket. But frankly, I would disagree with you on what the problems are in schools. I would list funding and the state of education as our biggest problems, and less so the attitudes of students. As to your next point, no one would ever defend a child saying such a thing. But you seem to think that this is a new pattern of behavior for children. Children have never been the respectful angels that you seem to believe their natural state to be. Children have always been snarky, biting, and rude entirely for the sake of eliciting a reaction from people like our esteemed author. Teaching morality is the job of all the adults in a child's life, the people that actually matter to them. The adults that a child respects will be the ones they listen to, and the ones whose behavior they will emulate. Act kind, and those that believe in you will follow. Act like a snob, or toss vague disdain at those whose lives and stories you know little about and well... we can see exactly how that behavior turns out. As for your last point, I don't know what children you've been around, unless you teach at the Children's Academy for the Rich and Pampered, because I have only ever known this behavior to come from the children of absentee parents who care little for their offspring. So in this, we agree. But I would get to know children instead of viewing them as this hostile unknown entity that you make them out to be in your essay, if three short paragraphs can be called that. But let's talk about being smarter than their teachers. In what scenarios? Again, your lack of context and specifics are a severe weakness in your writing, as I have personally witnessed incidents where I would give credence to teachers, or I would give credence to students. What needs to be fostered is a relationship between teacher and student of respect. Teachers should listen to and not discount the words of their students, and students are there to learn from the teachers. So, naturally, if a teacher comes across as arrogant, ill-informed, or dismissive, then I would certainly not expect respect from a student. There should never be respect simply handed to teachers, because of a title or position. That respect should always be earned.

Hilton BRONZE said...
on Dec. 8 2013 at 1:26 pm
Hilton BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
Lao Tzu

“Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
Anonymous

“Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and som “An obstacle is often a stepping stone.”

I agreee with you. Its sad to hear someone "I don't care. Let him die."

on Aug. 7 2010 at 3:51 pm
InsaneKitten BRONZE, Miami, Florida

Even shadows need light..... "Melissa Marr, Ink Exchange" :D

I completely agree! In school my teacher showed the class about wats happening in other places..... and it is very sad..  i think the most belief kids here have is mostly "That I have my own life why should I worry about someone else's" It's just sadly like this in the world. Tv, music, ect. suport this idea and parents....  i think they love there children to much to do anything obviously they never heard the term "tough love" Oh well maybe in ten years to twenty years it will change hopefully for the better :/

on Aug. 7 2010 at 10:25 am
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Oops, meant to say "too many kids in developed countries"

on Aug. 7 2010 at 10:25 am

Nicely written. It's so true, too. Too few kids in developed countries take their living conditions for granted. Not sure if I agree with you on the lack of respect paragraph, though. I'm don't think you can pin it down on parents not raising their kids right so much as it being a general societal thing. And you've gotta admit, some teachers are pretty stupid.