An Environmental Killer | Teen Ink

An Environmental Killer MAG

December 30, 2009
By Stephanie Yan BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Stephanie Yan BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In “Meat: An Environmental Killer,” Vidushi S. explains a unique way we can all tackle the growing problem of global warming. The article explains that we don't have to get rid of our cars or swear off anything factory-produced; we can simply eat less meat. Doing so cuts back on pollution and damage to the rainforests, wastes less water, and helps prevent world hunger.

Before I read this extremely persuasive ­article, I had no idea that people become vegetarians for reasons besides religion, views on animal cruelty, medical complications, and personal preference. When I saw the statistics printed on the page, I was shocked at the damage I was unwittingly doing to the earth. I can't promise that I will be a vegetarian, but I'm sure that many others besides me were convinced by this article to watch their meat intake more carefully.

The next time my family wants to eat at McDonald's, I'll mention this to them and try to get them to do something more veggie-friendly. Thank you, Vidushi, for bringing it to my attention.