Feedback on Change | Teen Ink

Feedback on Change MAG

December 10, 2018
By azra GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
azra GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Only dead fish go with the flow.


“Change” by Sophia Sagar is an outstanding memoir that compelled me to read every heartfelt word. Sagar recalls an experience in a Best Buy store when she met a homeless person who changed her view on living life. The homeless 20-year-old explains that she has no money and is trying to get back home to her family in Ohio. Sagar gives her a hug and all the money in her wallet. The woman thanks her and tries to give back the money, then leaves. The narrator goes to buy a large bottle of water for the lady, but when she returns, the woman is nowhere to be found. Sagar uses fantastic descriptions and personal feelings about the event.

I’ve never had a conversation with a homeless person. I have kept my distance, giving a dollar or two, but fearful that the person might be crazy. After reading about Sophia’s situation, I learned that homeless people are still human. I loved Sophia’s ending lines: “And thank you. For less than a dollar, my heart grew so much warmer. You changed me. And although I didn’t save you, I hope I made you feel a little more human.” It’s not hard to be kind, and a little kindness can change someone’s life.