Male Body-Shaming | Teen Ink

Male Body-Shaming

By acg149 BRONZE, Redwood City, California
acg149 BRONZE, Redwood City, California

Body-shaming: a common sight on the internet that has become a topic of much discussion. On and offline, countless women are being shamed because their body isn’t “perfect” or they don’t fit the mold of beauty. It has become such a large issue that young girls are depressed and committing suicide because their body doesn’t match that of their “perfect” role models. Throughout life, we hear about women being body shamed, but there is an issue to this; we only ever hear about women.

Although it doesn’t seem like it, men have also had issues with body-shaming. It isn’t nearly as widespread, but since it’s rarely discussed, it has become a prevalent issue. Many young boys idolize men with immense muscles (often fueled by unhealthy steroids) or even just generally strong and skinny men. This causes issues both in teens and adults since they strive to achieve the “perfect male body”. Two common steps in this process are over exercising and under eating. Both of these behaviors lead to malnutrition as well as other muscular and organ diseases. Although a smaller percentage of males than females have body image issues, it is relatively unaddressed. There are many ways to solve body-shaming issues, but someone needs to take action.