Battling Depression | Teen Ink

Battling Depression

By HannahRose00 SILVER, Hemet, California
HannahRose00 SILVER, Hemet, California

Imagine knowing someone who suffered each day with severe depression. Everywhere they went they would bring their tortured life with them creating a hole in the air. The air around them would be empty and painful. You would believe that this person was just bitter and hollow with no inner emotions. What you don’t know is what happens at night behind closed doors. The tears that roll down each cheek creating a perfect pattern showing their weakness. As they crumble on the floor and despise the next day that’s about to approach. Their beautiful body covered in art that only they know the meaning of.  Every choice they made never feels right and everyone they knew slowly drifted away leaving them lonely. They never choose this horrid life or meant to harm themselves. They feel like no one’s there and everything that’s good has vanished. The feeling is unexplainable. It’s like cancer in your blood or water in your lungs. Most people believe it’s just a little thing and doesn’t affect anything. It affects everything you do, even how you breathe. As they slowly drift away no one seems to notice and lets them continue slipping from reality. Sooner or later their pain is done and through. No more hollow lies about you or your flaws being pointed out right in front of your face leaving you breathless and terrified. No more crying or waiting for a hero who never comes or wanting someone to just notice how helpless you feel. Your body slowly drifts away and people soon forget who you were.

Imagine how someone feels who was close with them. That person would be petrified and scared. Their own best friend just considered taking their life and they don’t know what to do. Why didn’t they know? People don’t understand. It’s hard to admit to something like depression.  So many people crave attention and  sometimes nobody knows who really is being affected by it. These people can’t simply expect you to understand why they are depressed, for they themselves never seem to know the answer. They just want you to be there and support them through the hard patches when they don’t want to breathe anymore. Please understand that they still need someone to save them even while they decline help. People may have the biggest smiles, yet cry on the inside waiting for someone to notice them and help them pick up the pieces of their broken life.