Exercise in the Workplace | Teen Ink

Exercise in the Workplace

By Samson Kupferberg BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Samson Kupferberg BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

“Physical activity is an excellent stress-buster and provides other health benefits as well. It also can improve your mood and self-image” (Jon Wickham). These wise words are very true to many people. As school and work become more stressful and more challenging with new challenges virtually every day, methods for how to handle these situations seem to become inadequate. Unfortunately, many people turn to drug use and other harmful activities to relieve stress, but there is one of many methods of stress relief that provides seemingly endless benefits. Exercise, which is more commonly known for providing physical benefits, can also provide various mental benefits. Especially at work, where employees are frequently stressed, exercise can provide some amazing benefits for everyone. Employers should incorporate exercise and other physical activities in order to benefit employee productivity, stress relief, and self-esteem.
If employers provided more opportunities for employees to participate in physical activities, then the work productivity of every employee would be enhanced. Exercise and other physical activities stimulate blood circulation to the brain, which can lead to enhanced thoughts, ideas, strategies, concentration, and other mental advantages. With these new thoughts, workers can become more innovative every day on the job. In addition to that, increased movement boosts concentration, mental endurance, and creativity. Thus, employees can focus for longer in order to get through lengthy tasks and projects. An experiment with 80 executives for 9 months explains that physically active executives went through a 70% increase in decision making compared to physically inactive executives. Among executives, decision making skills are essential, especially when a large corporation wants to buy another company, expand itself, lay off employees to cut costs, or any other important decision. Another test, among railroad workers concludes that 3 out of 4 of them felt more focused and worked more effectively than when they were sedentary. Workers with jobs that involve tools and large objects, like railroad workers, especially need to focus because they can cause danger and injury to themselves and their fellow workers if they don’t. Improved work productivity is one of the many reasons why employers should provide more opportunities for their workers to exercise and engage in physical activity.
Another way that regularly having exercise at work can benefit employees is that it can relieve their stress. Especially because work can be extremely stressful, it is important that employees have solutions, for the sake of safe employee mental health. Exercise can reduce anxiety and stress, and it can improve people’s moods. When people are stressed, they often tend to “snap” at other people because they feel that they are not in control of their lives. Stress plagues 29% of workers, anywhere from moderately to extremely, according to a Yale study. This means that more than almost 3 out of 10 workers suffer from mental pressure due to their occupations. In another study by Northwestern National Life, 40% of workers claimed that their occupations are “very” or “extremely” stressful. This means that exercising may be vital for 4 out of every 10 employees. In a study by the Families and Work Institute, 26% of workers reported often experiencing stress or burnout due to their jobs. Again, more than one out of four workers was a victim of damaged mental health due to their job. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America explains on their website that exercise can help the brain release endorphins. These chemicals help people to fall asleep, and they control stress by doing that. Also, various studies have been conclusive that aerobic exercise, even for a few minutes is an excellent method for managing stress and anxiety. In an experiment with several thousand middle-aged women, those who were physically active were and most likely still are 99% less likely to feel depressed than those who didn’t exercise. Matthew Stults-Kolehmainen, Ph.D., a kinesiologist at Yale explains in an article from the Huffington Post that physical activity stimulates the release of chemicals in the brain that aids memory (stress makes people forget things) and enhances people’s moods. When workers aren’t stressed, they can remember information better in order to pick up old projects and remember important job information. In addition to productivity boosts and stress relief, physical activity provides even more benefits.
If companies include activities with physical exertion, then employees will be rewarded with better self-esteem. Exercise can be mentally rewarding by giving people a sense of accomplishment and making people feel and look stronger. Also, conditioning can improve the way that a person physically and mentally views himself or herself. Another study from the United Kingdom reveals how children who use electronics excessively (they probably don't exercise as much) experience decreases in self-esteem. Heather Hausenblas from the University of Florida analyzed more than 50 studies regarding physical activity, and she concluded that working out and being physically active, rather than being in shape, can enhance people’s self-images. Increased self-esteem is another essential psychological benefit that derives from being physically active.
Of course, some may argue that exercise is not necessary in the workplace. For example, some people don’t exercise as much, due to time constraints, fatigue, and because they find exercise to be boring. However, people can set up personalized exercise routines that satisfy their own needs. Also, it is commonly believed that the mental benefits from working out are more valuable than a little extra leisure time. Another argument by those in opposition to having mandatory exercise at work is that when workouts are too rigorous, they can lead to heart problems. However, with the right amount of exercise, these heart problems can be controlled and even prevented. Another study discovered that those who ran more than 25 miles a week had a risk of death similar to those who didn’t even exercise. Even though frequent long distance running can be harmful, again, people can slow down their exercise plans to keep their health in mind. The most important thing is for people to listen to their bodies to know when their exercise is excessive and counterproductive. While there are a few counter arguments against exercising, a few small changes can enable anyone to enjoy the physical and mental benefits of physical activity.
Exercise at work should be incorporated to increase worker productivity, alleviate stress, and improve self-respect among all employees. If workers stay physically stagnant, then their work and mental health won’t stay stagnant: it will actually regress. These changes need to happen, or else many employees won’t be able to work effectively and will struggle from mental health issues, which are a huge problem across the world. If today’s workers don’t get moving, then nothing else will.

Personally, exercise is very important to me, and I try to do some form of exercise every day. I notice that today's workers are under so much mental pressure, and I have proposed a method to improve their mental health.