Law and Order Special Victims Unit and Abuse | Teen Ink

Law and Order Special Victims Unit and Abuse

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit a crime drama dealing with legal issues that are loosely based on what happens in real life today. Having started in September of 1999, the show recently began its 16th season in September of 2014, making it the longest running scripted U.S prime-time show in the history of US television. Starring Mariska Harigatay, the show’s main actress who portrays Olivia Benson, a ruthless Sargent who is dedicated to taking down the bad guys of New York City. The show mainly focuses on sexually based offenses such as domestic violence, and sexual assault. The introduction to the show states “In the criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous, in New York City these dedicated Detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the special victims unit, these are there stories” (followed by an abrupt dun dun sound). Not only is this series extremely interesting and invigorating, it makes the viewers aware of their surroundings; and displays the potential dangers one may face in a large city.

Throughout its sixteen seasons on air, Law and Order SVU has made its viewers feel a mix of emotions including suspense, horror, awe, and empathy towards the shows characters. Each episode features a new random celebrity, which increases its “wow” factor, and makes sure the show does not flat line. The show consists of twisted plotlines that make the viewer wonder, “who comes up with this stuff?” People of the 21st century are very much used to watching shows that come in a chronological order, meaning what happens in one show piggy-backs off of what happens in the next. This show has a bit of a different approach; meaning that each episode is different in its own twisted way. Episodes will make the viewer feel a plethora of emotions, not only for the victims, but the accused, and the ironclad police force after these victims.

Because Harigatay has been working on the show for so long, she often receives fan mail from the viewers with letters enclosed with confessions about their abusers; they tell her because they were too afraid to tell anyone else. While she read each letter, it broke her heart that these women had been betrayed by people who were so close to them.  These letters led Harigatay to created the “Joyful Heart Foundation” which helps assault/abuse victims heal their minds, bodies and spirits after traumatic events happened to them. The “Joyful Heart Foundation” is in partnership with the powerful “No More” campaign, which airs powerful Public Service Announcements during important television and media events such as the Super Bowl. Both of the foundations website’s provide tools for a person to take action against this issue in our country. For its fifteen years on air, Law and Order: Special Victims unit has opened up the eyes of viewers countrywide. In a sheltered suburban life, many people do not understand the terrors in the outside world. People are not prepared when they venture out into the real world, and if they are terrorized, they will spend their life wondering what went wrong. Television shows like Law and Order: SVU have strong leads and plotlines that peek into the terrors of life of a big city. These shows are not only for the enjoyment of the viewer but for the betterment and education of someone who has never been exposed to these types of real-life situations. The foundations and the shows are created in an informative way that makes the average person aware of “life outside the bubble.”

How this television show directly correlates and helps abuse victirms