Animal Testing | Teen Ink

Animal Testing

By Calista_04 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts
Calista_04 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts

Some companies test products on animals, like makeup, cleaners, etc. A big reason why cleaning products are tested on animals is to meet international legislative standards, and for the safety of the buyers of the product. This causes injuries and in some cases even death to these innocent animals. Rats are commonly used for testing, as they are have very close biological, and behavior characteristics to humans. Another animal known for testing is the dog breed Beagles. Beagles are used to test a number of things, surgical experiments, toxicology tests etc. These testings are heartless, gruesome, and heartbreaking. Testing on animals is not illegal, so it’s a gateway for companies to test their products. For a company to test on a human would be illegal.

The cruelty to animals under testing is severe and terrifying . Some animals are kept in cages, burned, shocked, poisoned, isolated, starved, drowned, addicted to drugs, beaten, brain damaged, and so much more. After these tests the animals are thrown back into their cages without any medicine, no matter the severity of the tests. Much more extreme, unimaginable, and inhumane tests are run on animals. Vivisection is one of the worst forms of animal testing and unfortunately a common one. Vivisection is when the animal is when the animal is cut or operated on while living.

A solution to this would be for companies to find a more humane way to make sure that the product is safe for people to use, without testing it on animals. Microdosing is giving a human a small dose of the product and seeing how it affects the subject, this way the whole body is not ruined. If the product can not be injected the company can use a model based on human cells and tissue culture. Companies that save animals from testing can be donated to, this would give the company more money to save animals, and give them a comfortable environment to stay in.
Companies like PETA, nevas, Cruelty Free International, and Beagle Freedom Project are a few.

Companies test on animals for the safety of the buyers, but is it really worth the destruction done to animals to test on them? The animals are tortured and beaten and poisoned while they are alive, and not even given any care, medical attention, or medicine for the pain. Companies do these horrible things to the animals when they have a solution, they can do microdosing, or do something else. These unbelievable things are done to animals being tested, but what if this is just the little things the animals are victims of? What if these companies are doing even worse things to the animals, that the companies don’t speak of? Animal testing must stop now.

This is my essay I wrote about animal testing including, solutions to animal testing, some ways the animals are tested on, and websits to donate to that help tested aniamls.