The Effects Humans Have on Birds | Teen Ink

The Effects Humans Have on Birds

By TheBirdNerd17 BRONZE, Westminster, Colorado
TheBirdNerd17 BRONZE, Westminster, Colorado

Birds are all around, whether you notice them or not, but they might not be any longer.  Every year more and more birds aren’t making it through migration. They are very important to the environment and humans are negatively affecting them and need to learn to help.  Until people help migratory and nonmigratory birds, they will continue to perish because of wind farms, they are losing their natural food source, and they are losing their natural habitat.

Wind Farms
The first reason why birds are not making it to their breeding grounds or winter homes is wind farms. Wind farms not only affect migratory birds, but also when they are nesting.  “A Golden Eagle's hunting grounds become a gauntlet of wind turbines.” says ABC (American Bird Conservancy) Golden Eagles are already endangered birds and people are pushing them farther down that path. Also, Save The Eagles International states that an estimate 116 golden eagles are killed annually from  California’s Altamont Pass Wind Farm. As the wind industry expands, more birds fall. Wind Turbines kill all types of prairie birds too, not just eagles. People need to find a solution to wind farms killing birds.

Losing Their Natural Food Source
Next reason is because they are losing their food sources. Someone might chop down a berry bush for a new path. But what they don’t realize is that bush feed a flock of house sparrows (passer domesticus) That flock just lost a main food source that would help them fatten for winter. Birds losing their natural food source is more common than you think. Because of this in many areas across the world birds began to eat plastic says International Bird Rescue. It’s not like they mean to, many water dwelling birds mistake plastic for small fish and other things. This is especially true with fishing line and hooks. Many birds like pelicans (pelecanus) and green headed mallards (anas platyrhynchos) get a fishing hook in their beak, or fishing line wrapped around their foot, causing it to lose circulation and potentially fall off. And although many people watch birds, organizations where people can donate don’t get much support.

Losing Natural Habitat
Not only are birds losing their food sources, but their homes and habitats too. Many birds are starting to lose more and more of their habitat each year. One bird that is falling into extinction because of this is the greater sage grouse (centrocercus urophasianus) “This iconic prairie bird, known for its spectacular mating dance, will likely vanish if emergency measures are not put in place to protect its grassland and sagebrush habitat.” claims Nature Canada. Many bird habitats are not being protected and because of this they may disappear altogether. Although many birds can learn to adapt and live in suburban areas or already are, our building take a toll on them. “It is often said that between 100 million and a billion birds die in the US each year after striking windows.” Says BBC News. Birds cannot see glass so they do not know that it is solid. While windows in houses don’t poes as large as threats as skyscrapers there still as a danger factor.

How to Help
There are many ways that people can help birds. For example, making backyards bird friendly places. This can include setting out bird feed, water, or keeping cats indoors. Also, provide places for birds to hid like trees and bushes. Plus decorate windows. When windows are decorated, birds see them as a solid object and will avoid them. One last thing people can do is donate. This is the biggest way people can help birds. ABC (American Bird Conservancy) is a great place to donate to help migratory birds. When people donate ABC uses the money to protect the most endangered bird stopovers (places birds stop to gain more fat during migration) and habitats. Overall, windfarms, food loss, and habitat loss effects birds greatly.

Birds are such a big part of the woeld ecosystem and need more recognition. I hope that this inspired you to donate, or at least spread the word about birds.