Man’s Best Friends | Teen Ink

Man’s Best Friends MAG

By Anonymous

     Paris Hilton’s chihuahua, Tinkerbell, Ashlee Simpson’s maltipoo, Blondie, and Jessica Alba’s pugs, Sid and Nancy, are known by the American public because of their famous owners and luxurious red-carpet treatment. These dogs are well kept and well publicized, and their appearance and treatment create the notion that all American dogs and cats are as well cared for. However, this is not true; today across America there are millions of neglected dogs and cats.

Because many Americans do not realize the importance of spaying and neutering cats and dogs, animal shelters are forced to euthanize three to four million healthy cats and dogs each year. Spaying and neutering proves beneficial not only to pets but to pet owners and everyday citizens. There should be mandatory government-provided neutering and spaying for all cats and dogs.

Sadly euthanization is what happens to many strays - happy and healthy animals - that are not adopted from shelters. Euthanization is commonly known as putting an animal “to sleep.” The stray population will continue to grow unless neutering and spaying becomes mandatory, and provided for all cats and dogs, under penalty of law. According to Animal People, in 2001, 36,500 animals were put to sleep in New York City alone, and nationwide a total of 4.2 million euthanized animals was recorded. The offspring of strays will inevitably grow up to produce more strays and probably become a nuisance, eating garbage, using public or private property to relieve themselves, and possibly even frightening citizens. These animals often end up in shelters, and there is a limit to the number that shelters can hold.

Spaying and neutering is good for the owner, the pet, and the community. It makes animals more relaxed, warmer, and less likely to bite, roam the neighborhood, or even run away. Mandatory spaying and neutering helps curb the growing problem of fighting animals as a form of entertainment (recently highlighted by the Michael Vick scandal). Pets are less at risk for certain diseases, and will live long, happy, and healthy lives. These actions will reduce the cost to the community of removing stray animals from public facilities and lawsuits from bite and attack cases.

Those who oppose mandatory spaying and neutering may be breeders who sell their dogs without registering as licensed breeders. These “casual breeders” oppose mandatory neutering and spaying because they can make easy money from the puppies or kittens they breed. They often don’t think about the ramifications of their actions. If puppies or kittens fall into the wrong hands, it’s possible that they will be mistreated and not provided with proper healthcare, or become strays themselves.

Some say that the price of purchasing a dog or cat will increase if only registered breeders are available. This is incorrect because more licensed breeders will exist as a result of penalties for casual breeders. And of course, there is always the option of adopting an animal from a shelter.

The fate of many helpless, loving cats and dogs rests within the important issue of neutering and spaying. We can all benefit from happy, healthy cats and dogs. The government should realize that it’s important to provide these services to keep animals off the streets. In the end, dogs and cats are man’s best friends, right?