Giving Back to America | Teen Ink

Giving Back to America

By ConnorP BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
ConnorP BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

There are many problems in modern American society. One way that we cope with social problems is with community service. Currently, I am an Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America, so I have experience with doing different service projects to give back to the community.  One thing that I have noticed at every project I have worked on is that only a few people are working. If the word spreads around, and more people help out, we could improve our society. We need more people to help out with community service across the United States.

I guarantee that if you search around your town, you will find numerous service opportunities. For example, most states have Adopt-a-Highway programs. This is a program in which an organization takes care of a segment of a highway by cleaning it. My Boy Scout Troop has adopted a segment of a Highway 69. Every six months, we go out to our section of the highway, split up into groups, and we pick up trash. Even though this does not seem that huge of a deal, it helps solve part of the trash problem of the United States. Service projects are not limited to picking up trash. You can help package meals to help end hunger, donate furniture to Goodwill, donate clothing to a drive, or even host one yourself. If the word gets around, each person can do something to help. If we have enough people helping, we can do a lot of good together.

This word needs to get around so our nation can solve larger problems more quickly and effectively. Service opportunities are available at many organizations in your local area in different fields of need. Currently, the United States population is around 320 million. If we get half of the 320 million people to help serve our community, think of all of the good we would get done as a whole. We will all benefit from making our country a better place with service.

As I have stated in the article, I am an Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America. With the BSA, I do many service projects and like giving back to my community because I receive so much from it. As a result, I have a desire to serve others, which is what inspired me to write this article. I am very fortunate to live in a great household, and I would like to help those unfortunate people who do not have the privileges that I do. I think that this article should inform many and I hope that this overall message gets passed on so that we, as a nation, can help serve our communities.