Nonprofit Entrepreneurs | Teen Ink

Nonprofit Entrepreneurs MAG

October 15, 2014
By D@CMC BRONZE, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
D@CMC BRONZE, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I didn’t set out to build my friends’ confidence when I asked them to get involved in community service, but that has been the result. My cousin Tyler Trujillo and I cofounded Reach the Sky, a nonprofit organization created by kids to help kids. As the leader, I wanted to involve lots of my teen friends. It has been amazing to see their confidence grow. We have learned that even though we are young people, we can make a difference.

One of our goals is to provide dental and hygiene education and products to kids. We reached out to local dentists for money and support. My board members and volunteers (friends, classmates, and neighbors) met to develop a PowerPoint presentation to educate kids about taking care of their teeth.

Soliciting money by mail and phone is not terribly effective, so we try to be creative with our fundraising. Since film and photography are my hobbies and my friends love movies, we raise money for Reach the Sky by hosting an annual Oscar Party and Silent Auction. We have raised a few thousand dollars to buy dental supplies and educational materials to distribute to elementary schools with the most need.

Reach the Sky also participates in the Sam Sandos project, where we pack boxes with nonperishable food. The boxes are then delivered to needy families during the holidays. I am excited to participate again next year when I will be able to drive!

Whether it is participating in a 5-K Run for the Homeless, bringing dental supplies to kids, or delivering food to those in need, I am so fortunate that I can share my time with people I care about. Being together with friends and giving back to our community gives us a sense of accomplishment and teaches us to empower each other. And we have been able to develop leadership and organizational skills while giving back.

My strong sense of community comes from my grandmother and my mother. My grandmother, Mama Lisa, was a single mother who left her native Mexico with three young daughters. She sought to create a better life for my mother, and now for me. Because Mama Lisa only completed the third grade and speaks only Spanish, she had to work as a migrant farmworker in this country to support her family. She did not want her daughters to face the limitations she faced. My mother was only eight when she moved to the United States. As a migrant farmworker’s child, she moved each season from town to town and school to school, endeavoring to do better.

Although my life is far easier, it remains difficult to balance my school responsibilities and community service. I have no intention, however, of wasting my grandmother’s and my mother’s sacrifices.

Each day, I hope my words and actions show how much I value my friends and the people we help. I will continue to share the opportunity of service with other teens so that they also receive those gifts. I cannot think of a better way to help my friends realize their value than by including them in the joy that community service provides.