When You Help A Community, You Help Yourself | Teen Ink

When You Help A Community, You Help Yourself MAG

Most people hear the word community service and say ugh. They either think thatit's something "bad" people do to have time taken off their prison termor something that is totally boring. On the other hand I hear the word and getexcited because it's something I love doing. Whether it's volunteering fororganizations like Habitat for Humanity or teaching four-year-olds to swim Ienjoy doing it, because it makes people feel good when you help them. It alsomakes you feel good about yourself because you're helpingsomeone.

Recently I was able to go to a local elementary school and do acommunity service learning project. I had to help out a first, second and thirdgrade class with the Presidential Physical Fitness Test. The kids were doingthings like curl-ups and other exercises. I kept telling the kids they were doinggreat and encouraging them to do one more. When the gym teacher asked me how manycurl-ups they each did, she said that it was a lot more than they usually do. Iknow they did extra because of my encouragement. I think it really helped theirself-esteem. I made those little kids feel great about themselves and that makes me feelgreat.

When you do community service projects, it makes many people feelbetter about themselves and it makes you feel better, too. I encourage everyoneto try some sort of community service. You may be surprised how much you enjoyit. fl