Judgement and being judgemental; two different things | Teen Ink

Judgement and being judgemental; two different things

By Caravana GOLD, Joplin, Missouri
Caravana GOLD, Joplin, Missouri

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who gives me strength."

Judgement and being judgmental. These are two very different things, yet they are placed so closely together in this day and age. At some point in our walk we may be asked by God to point out a sin in a fellow Christian but not out of spite, not to talk down to this person, but only to help them in their walk with the Lord. Sadly this is taken as being judgmental far to often. To be judgmental is to strongly criticise a person for what he or she is doing wrong and to intentionally talk down to that person.

So how is judgement different from being judgmental? Well to point out a sin is not wrong as it is said in the Bible that we are supposed to call a fellow brother out if they are sinning. Matthew 18:15 says, “if your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, between you and him alone. If they listen to you, you have won them over”. As brothers and sisters in Christ we are supposed to help each grow in him, as said in Proverbs 27:17, “Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another”. Judgment is a Christian caring for another Christian, as said in John 5:16, “Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much”.

To be Judgmental is to speak negativiley of or to a person. Whether they are a Christian or not, it is wrong to judge others in this way. Being judgmental is in no way helpful to anyone. It is only done to cause pain which is not from God. As Christians we must remember that we have all sinned and will never have room to judge. One of my favorite bible verses is John 8:7, “If any of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her”. This verse shows us that we are all sinners, and that the only one who has never sinned is Jesus. Therefor He is the judge not us.

No longer should we be stuck in our selfish ways of perfectionism because none of us will ever be perfect. All we can do is strive to be more Christ-like each day and help others do the same.

Matthew 25:25-40, “‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You drink? ‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? ‘And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’”