HOW WE HAMPER THE BEAUTY OF THE ENVIRONMENT | Forums | Teen Ink

Writers' Workshop Forums

HOW WE HAMPER THE BEAUTY OF THE ENVIRONMENT

Chidera13 posted this thread...
on Jun. 7 at 6:12 am

HOW WE HAMPER THE BEAUTY OF THE ENVIRONMENT  

Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary defines the Environment as the natural world in which people, animals and plants live. Our Environment is beautiful but should we say we do not fully consider it as so? It provides us with the natural services (like air and water), quality of life and a suitable dwelling for our survival. It includes both living and non-living things which cooperate with each other to make up the ecosystem we live. (The word Ecosystem means a community of living organism in conjunction with the non-living components of their environment interacting as a system.)  For, Instance the plants get their energy through Sunlight, and through breathing, we in turn use the oxygen that comes from the plants around us. Food and water, comes from this wonderful place too. A life where we cannot enjoy the drenching of the rain, beam of the sunrays, the light from the night skies and chirping of the birds, I must say is awful.

Let's take a time to join in this illustration that shows why our environment should be preserved always. An adult once held a birthday party one Sunday afternoon. After all the foot-loose and fancy frees, the trash and left-overs from the party laid on the ground without any effort to tidy the disorder created. These refuse went on to become contaminants for the surroundings and in the coming  days, people took ill on several water borne diseases in that same community. This story says it all my friends." An onuce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

We surely are affected by the things we do without being aware of the consequences these actions bring. We need clean water, food and shelter. These can only come from a well-bred and healthy environment.

There are lots of actions that we humans take especially negative that lead to the degrading of the original beauty and purity of nature. They bring about environmental issues such as pollution, congested landfills and waste points, unchecked construction activities, and littering among others.

Just like in my neighbourhood, we are supposed to dispose our trash at a particular waste point but children like I, are fond of disposing thiers beside the large trolley on the ground. This is wrong! But  it is also because the trolley itself is filled to the brim . Thus sharing  the blame to us and our Local Authorities. When it rains , its an eyesore to behold.

These actions hampers the beauty of our world today. it causes  pollution. According to Wikipedia, it defines pollution as the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment which can cause adverse change" This definition implies that you and I are the main agents of the pollution in our world today. Water, land and air pollution affects our environment and the life that exists in it. The refuse we let off on the streets, makes the air bad for breathing, blocks our gutters and still make their way through to bigger waterways to further threaten the lives of our fishes.  

This sad story cannot be erased from our history but it can be rewritten by younger generations like us, and for us.  So it means that we have the ball in our court. We will be the only hope to take measures that will reduce this environmental damage and restore the beauty of our surroundings again.

In the south eastern part of the country where I live, one of the wrong environmental activities I see, is the improper treatment of sewage by several houses. It is an urban environment here, with big building clusters usually having a lot of occupants. I live with my family in one of these block of flats. It is really sad to witness how some neighboring houses release the half treated wastewater from their filled sewers into our street. They use the night rains as an opportunity to let out these waste water that is  harmful to life  and contaminates the water resources around us. This is wrong also!, and should not be allowed to continue. I propose that the local authorities bring these ‘houses' to book by means of fines for  causing such environmental problems.

Littering according to Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary , the act of unloading or discarding waste in an unsuitable location. It remains one of the main causes of pollution and can be really dangerous to our health. It assists the spread of diseases as germs thrive in a filthy place. If poisonous and sharp objects are not dispose properly they can also cause harm to us or the animals, who might also ingest them.

When we litter, friends, we show complete disrespect for the environment and hamper its beauty.

Many of us think that it is impossible to pollute the oceans by littering our surroundings. We feel they are so far from where we live. But we should bear in mind that the refuse we dump in drains can be transported to larger water bodies (like rivers and oceans). By research, we know that about 70% of the oceans pollution consists of plastics. These plastics have broken down from the cans and bottles that they once were into micro plastics .(these are tiny pieces of plastics so small we hardly see them). These plastics are taken in by sea animals and fishes and we know the rest.

For young people like me , if we take  little concern about the environmental tragedy we face today it may result to bigger problems which may make life unbearable and unsafe for us now and in the future.

There are some simple solutions I found out which we can begin today to preserve the beauty of the environment.

*Local authorities should provide house to house waste points, I cross a major road two to three times every week so as to dispose my home waste which is very dangerous and threatening to my life.

*Anti -littering campaigns should be held.

*Avoid single use items.

*We should reduce, reuse,recycle and if possible refuse.

*Government should enforce strict laws for the termination of littering.

*Stop Littering!!!!

In these little ways we could make the world a better place! Thank you .

Chidera13, Onitsha, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You are somebody when people talk about you in their gathering but nobody when they don't

Favorite Quote:
You are somebody when people talk about you in their gathering but nobody when they don't

Chidera13 replied...
on Jun. 7 at 6:14 am
This article is sure great and educative

Chidozie, Onitsha, Other

Favorite Quote:
Keep going don't think of what people think about you

Chidozie replied...
on Jun. 7 at 8:22 am
@jane okeke

Chidozie, Onitsha, Other

Favorite Quote:
Keep going don't think of what people think about you

Chidozie replied...
on Jun. 7 at 8:23 am
I love this article it is great. Keep it up

Favorite Quote:

Chidera13 replied...
on Jun. 7 at 8:25 am
Thank you.