On the topic of slurs | Forums | Teen Ink

Writers' Workshop Forums

On the topic of slurs

Blue-Jay39 posted this thread...
on Feb. 18 at 10:58 pm

There is too much history behind certain words to just throw them around in daily life. You can’t just say words like the n-word whenever. That word carries the weight of CENTURIES worth of killings and slavery. You wouldn’t/shouldn’t go around saying “Ha, ha. I support the mass murders of black people!!” So why would you say that word?

As someone who understands the weight of words like that, I know the “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me” thing is absolute bullsh**. Bones can and will heal. Words? Those stay with you for a long time. Depression and low self-esteem issues are not an easy fix guys.

Same goes for the F-word (you know which one I mean) and various religious slurs. I know it’s a shock, random kids in the locker rooms, but those words are not terms of endearment for your friends. They actually hurt people. So stop being stupid, and be kind. It is high time humanity recognized our collective mistakes.

Blue-Jay39, South Jordan, Utah
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
There is freedom waiting for you/On the breezes of the sky,/ And you ask "What if I fall?"/ Oh but my darling,/What if you fly? -e.h

alexandramoutafi2005, Miami, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes all you can do is laugh, to keep yourself from crying."

on Mar. 4 at 9:23 pm
I totally agree with your take on the famous saying. The truth is words can be way more powerful than physical pain. As much as we don't want to believe or be affected by what other people say, for most people, it's not really a choice. We aren't alone in this world and letting in other's opinions is part of the way we survive all together. What other people say to you is a huge part of how you form your personality, a part which you can't control, and people must understand that. Just as "a bully" wouldn't like somebody else to go and carelessly mess up the rest of their lives, they have no right to do it to anybody else.