Consuming Confidence | Teen Ink

Consuming Confidence

March 6, 2018
By Franco2k BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
Franco2k BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments



There are many things people fear, heights, clowns, monsters in their closet, etc. Most people in this small town feared an abyss on the outskirts of town. This abyss had been in this town for many years. It has many stories and myths attached to it whether it be missing individuals or things like even walking past the abyss or looking into it will forever put a curse upon you. Parents would also use the abyss to scare their kids so they would be on their best behavior but other than that nobody really knew much about it or how long it had been there.


There was a group of students at the local middle school that were assigned a project for their psychology class. Their main topic was fear and had to conduct a field experiment on how fear affects their judgement and mental stability in times of stress. The kids decided to go to the only place that scared them the most while growing up. To them the abyss made the most sense in terms of how accurate it would be to really instill fear in them. There were four of them in the group James, Aleks, Aaron, and Joe. All were eager to do this project right away so they all agreed to sneak out at night while their parents were asleep.


They had all successfully snuck out and had met up.They were all excited especially James because he had never done anything like that before. As they made their way to the abyss thoughts would start to creep in their heads. They would think about all the stories they had heard when they were younger and all the myths. They would start to tell each other the “what if” scenarios and would have second thoughts. Joe the group leader however, was determined and reassured the rest of the group that nothing bad was going to happen, so everyone had just followed suit and figured everything was going to be fine.


They approached the abyss and you could start to see a little bit nerves set in on each of the kid’s faces. They started to get out all their materials and were getting ready to conduct their experiment. Now the goal was to figure out how they were going to test out the fear aspect of the experiment. All it took was a simple look over the edge and instant fear would set in. Joe would have James be the first one to conduct the experiment. All he had to do was walk as close to the edge as possible. Once James had got to the edge they made him recite an excerpt from a shakespeare piece. James, incredibly scared would start to read the piece his voice was shaking and was slurring his words. While he was doing this the rest of the group recorded the information based on what they saw from his body language and how he was speaking.


Once James had finished Joe wanted to take it one step further. He volunteered to do the same thing James did but this time he would hang off the ledge. The others told him over and over again that this could lead to something terrible. Joe with his confidence through the roof was determined to do it. He proceeded to lower his body over the dark and consuming abyss. He had a solid grip of the ledge and had Aleks hold the Shakespeare piece while he was hanging. He proceeded to read the piece with no problems and seemed like he was comfortable. He finished and they all had their information. Joe was trying to show off that he wasn’t scared and hung off the ledge with just one hand. The rest of the group was concerned and told him to get out of there. It was like he was having fun with it but as he saw his group member’s concern he was done and proceeded to get out. He couldn’t lift himself out on his own so he called over James and Aleks to help him. He grabbed their arms and they tried to lift him up. But as they tried to pull him out James and Aleks would start to lose their footing and position. James, Aleks and Joe would all fall into the abyss. The one group member still standing there was Aaron. He could not believe what he had just witnessed. The three of them were just gone without trace. There was no sound of them dropping it was as if they had just been consumed by a more powerful force that they did not understand. Aaron, the only surviving group member would tell this story to everyone. This story would continue to be told throughout the town. James, Aleks, and Joe had all become apart of the legend of the abyss.