The Man Who Whispered to the Mountains | Teen Ink

The Man Who Whispered to the Mountains

By KittyMictur13 BRONZE, Anderson, Indiana
KittyMictur13 BRONZE, Anderson, Indiana

Everyone, no matter how old, is afraid of not knowing the unknown.

There was once a middle-aged man who loved to go visit his cabin the the mountains. He was unmarried and had no kids, although he did have siblings with children of their own. He never minded though. He lived all alone and had no support. He managed. He was always well fed, and was always active. When he went to the mountains where his cabin lay, he wouldn’t visit anyone else there. Instead, he went into the mountain’s caves. There he’d sit for hours, listening, and whispering.
The people in the mountains were concerned. They were worried that he was slowly slipping into losing his mind. What they didn’t realize, was that the caves, used to be known as the whispering caves. Ancestral people, such as the Natives, would use these caves, believing it was their ancestors or family members speaking to them. It was thought to be the deceased whose spirits were stuck in the caves because they couldn’t find their way to peace. It was also thought that they used those caves to keep in touch with those they love.
Every day that the man was in the mountains, he would go to these caves, and just listen and whisper. One day though, a neighbor of his contacted his sister. His sister took him to live with her. She was just like the others. She didn’t know what was really happening. She thought that he needed mental help. She was actually a psychiatrist, or someone who helps those who need mental help. Although he tried to explain it to her, she still didn’t want to believe. She kept him from the outside world, not letting him go to his cabin. In fact, she sold it to someone else.
He was so upset, that he wasn’t feeling good. All he would do was eat, sleep, and go to the john. ( John-Restroom ). One day, when he was sick, he decided to use his illness as an excuse to get his sister to leave that part of the house. He told her, “I am sick, I need you to call a doctor. I want to make sure that I am alright.” She believed him. She went to the other side of the house to where the landline ( Home Phone ) was and called the doctor.
Well, as you can imagine, he hadn’t seen the outside for so long, that he might have forgotten what it was like. He used his chance to leave. He got up and grabbed what he needed. He knew he didn’t have long. He hurried to where he knew the front door was. As quietly as a mouse, he hurried out the door. He made sure to close it quietly behind him. By the time his sister finished her call and went to check on him, he was gone. Never to be seen again.
It is said that when people enter the caves that he once did, that you can hear the old man’s voice among the others, just listening and whispering, like he did all those years ago.

I was inspired by a TV show (well, a cartoon) and thought that I would use an idea from it to make my own short story. I hope you like this!