Breathe | Teen Ink

Breathe

By Ariel_thewriter BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
Ariel_thewriter BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

Breathe. I struggle. Breathe. The cloth restricting will to take in air. Breathe. I move and thrash my head trying to loosen the ties that keep the cloth on my face. Breathe. My hands, behind me, are bounded, along with my legs, to my chair.
  Snap! The tie breaks and an influx of air is welcomed. As my chest rises and falls, I take in the scent of my surroundings, it smells of mildew, with a tinge of iron. I shake my head, until the cloth slides off. It goes from my cupids bow, to the bridge of my nose, past my forehead and finally over the crown of my head, falling to the floor behind me.
  Where am I?  My eyes scan the room, once in confusion and wonder, and another in fear. I can’t remember.  The room is dark except for a single light above me hanging loosely from a wire.
   I thrash and throw myself once more. I begin to struggle with keeping the tears from my eyes as I try to be strong and pull myself from my constraints. Where am I? 
  Push. Pull. Push again.  The more I struggle the deeper the tie digs into my wrists. My chest becomes heavier as I hold back tears, refusing to give up. Yes. My wrist slowly begins to slide out, only to be stopped when I can no longer move my biceps up, because of the of the tight tweed rope wrapped around. But, I stop, only for a moment, to take a breath, before trying again.
   Step. Step. Pause. Step. My breath hitches. The steps get closer and closer. Pausing after every second step. I start to panic. I’m pulling and kicking, trying to 
   Falling, falling… My eyes shoot open, I gripped what was under me to steady myself. I spring up, and look around in panic. I begin to relax when I realize I’m someplace familiar, my room, in my bed. I take a breath. Breathe. Before I lay back down, I say to myself. ‘It was just a dream’ I close my eyes and just before I drift back to sleep, I hear, Step. Step. Pause. Step.