suicide or murder or.. | Teen Ink

suicide or murder or..

By NandiniK SILVER, Dalhousie, Other
NandiniK SILVER, Dalhousie, Other

I opened the door and found that my uncle lay on the floor with blood all over the room and around him. My cousin Elsa entered next and was left astound. He lay near the bed with his torn shirt. My uncle was still breathing and was taken to the hospital. The police was involved in the investigation of such a mysterious attack. A huge scratch on his neck was referred to as a proof of his suicide. The case was soon closed but rendered me helpless. While my uncle was in the hospital, I called Elsa for help and we decided to go deeper into the case. Suicide attempt seemed unbelievable without any evidence like a rope or a knife. The scratch seemed to be a paw mark. It could not be termed as a murder.
               We started our own investigation from the next day but strange thoughts didn't leave my mind. We were driven into confusion when Elsa found a paw-shaped blood stained glove near the storehouse. It could have been a murder attempt rather than a suicide attempt. It was enough to infuriate me and I was determined to find out the person who would kill such a kind man. I looked around as the discovery of the glove left me bemused. Before I could devise an efficient plan, Elsa’s maid Anna spotted her with me. Elsa pleaded her to remain ignorant of this and assure that her parents remain uninformed. I waited for Anna’s reply and she turned out to be a kind lady. She offered us help and I asked for some instruments. I warned Elsa about the danger which I could sense in the case but she agreed to work with me.
              The next day, I was busy looking at the forest which surrounded the house. I heard a strident voice, “Ellie, move! Here comes the creature…” I looked around and found a fierce creature proceeding towards me and Elsa. The big cat leaped and seemed to admonish us to leave the place. Elsa held my hand tightly and dragged me into the house. The tiger was not ready to leave its prey and followed us. I started running faster and rushed into the house. Elsa entered next and shut the door.  I was too scared to think of anything and went further inside the house. Elsa seemed annoyed and pushed against the door to prevent the animal to enter this temporary shelter.  As soon as safety was ensured, I came outside a room and gave an irritating smile, “You are fine? I think the ravenous monster came here in search of my uncle.” Elsa replied with disgust, “An animal is not so intelligent to search for a specific person in an empty house. And look its daytime!” Elsa’s reply somehow awoke my curiosity and I wondered if the furious tiger had left the paw mark on my uncle’s neck. It couldn't be concluded that a tiger doesn't attack during daytime. I felt perplexed but I decided to search for the truth.
                 Another day passed and I had not reached to any conclusion. I sat beside Elsa while she described the tiger’s attack to Anna. A sound made me more attentive and I slowly rose from the log. I proceeded towards the bush that seemed to make that sound. Green eyes looked towards me and I guessed at once that it was the tiger. I screamed and rushed towards the house. Elsa and Anna followed me but the door was not opening.  I heard another sound. A human voice said, “Elise! Don’t run.” I turned around to Elsa and she looked at me with surprise and said, “What? The call is not for me. I am Elsa not Elise.” I gazed around with a strange look to find the tiger. The tiger looked towards the bushes while a dark figure emerged. The unknown figure had three legs! As the unknown figure proceeded towards us, we realized it was none other than my uncle who walked with his stick. The stick seemed to form his third leg. Uncle called Elise once again and the tiger changed its direction towards my uncle. To my surprise, it licked my uncle’s hand and seemed to follow his commands. Uncle soon clarified our doubts.
              “Elise is my pet tiger. I know that is a bit strange but we stay together peacefully. One day, I was playing with this elegant creature with my claw shaped glove while she slipped on the water on the floor and accidently injured me but you came here that day and took me to the hospital. Elise could not bear to stay away from me. She wanted to play and that is the reason that she came here today.” he said with a forceful smile. Anna said, “This is enough now. I am exhausted after this adventure and …” I felt bemused for a moment but then laughed heartily. Though strange, this adventure remains in my long term  memory.