The Resurrection | Teen Ink

The Resurrection

By HoKimberly BRONZE, Little Neck, New York
HoKimberly BRONZE, Little Neck, New York

Characters
Tony, thirties, male, any ethnicity, fitness trainer
Michael, early thirties, male, any ethnicity, lawyer and Bob’s best friend
Kadya, twenties, female, Caucasian, blonde haired girl
Bob, thirties, male, Caucasian, bald, has a pot belly, lives in his parent’s basement, bartender

At Rise: 5:00 PM Friday June 24, 2014 at The New Generation Fitness Center. The room, 500 sq. meters, has about 20 people and lots of gym equipment. Treadmills and bikes are at opposite sides of the room. Various machines fill the other two walls. In the center is a giant blue mat.

TONY
Good evening class. Welcome to the third session of the fitness program. Today, we are training strength and endurance. Everyone, let’s begin with a two minute plank.

MICHAEL
Phew! Two minutes is easy-peasy!

BOB
Shut up, Mike! Easy for you to say when you look like an inverted triangle. Seriously, how do you get your pecs fatter than your belly?

MICHAEL
First, my pecs are muscles. It’s zero percent fat. And second, you have to work for it.

BOB
(BOB touches his jutting belly.)
Not much to work for. Need I remind ya that I am bartender who lives in my parent’s basement?

MICHAEL
But, you meet the pretty ladies every night. That should be some sort of motivation, no?

BOB
None of the chicks look at me. Even now, they don't cuz they’re all looking at you. Ya see those long legged goddesses across the room. I’ll bet one s***tin’ dollar that they’re gushing about you right now.

MICHAEL
(MICHAEL picks up his head and flashes his sparkly white smile at the two blondes across the room.)
Oh yeah, they definitely are now.

BOB
(panting)
I hate you so much.

(Two minutes passed. BOB is lying flat on his stomach and his head is dripping of sweat. MICHAEL sits up, eager for the next routine.)

TONY
Now, everyone head to the chest fly machine. Train those pectoral muscles.

MICHAEL
Here’s the deal, Bob. Every time we come, you won’t shut up about your crappy life. I want to help you. It’s sad to see a long time friend in a mid-life crisis. I mean, I could donate some chicks for the night to you, but that’s not going to happen. But, if you can do a hundred push ups, I’ll give you a job at my firm.

BOB
   (He looks wide-eyed at Michael)
Ya mean I don’t have to be a bartender anymore?

MICHAEL
You got that right! In fact, I will make you my personal assistant. Those chicks won’t be ignoring you anytime soon.

(Adrenaline rushes through BOB’S system and he immediately begins to fulfill his deal. Meanwhile, one of the blondes walks toward MICHAEL.)

KADYA
Hi there, I’m Kadya. I was hoping you could show me how to work this machine.

MICHAEL
I wish I could, I don't know how. My friend, Bob, knows how to operate it. I’m sure he won’t mind helping you.

KADYA
(KADYA speaks with disappointment.)
You know … maybe next time. I forgot that I have an appointment in half an hour. Nice meeting you.
(Kadya leaves the scene brusquely.)

MICHAEL
(Shaking his head.)
Bob you need a lot of work. The ladies leave faster than the hair on your head.

(BOB finishes a hundred push-ups in twenty minutes. He gets to his feet.)

BOB
It’s time to begin my new life!

(BOB and MICHAEL exit the scene.)

(END OF PLAY)

Author’s Note
This play is about a man reviving his life with a newly offered job.
It takes place in The New Generation Fitness Center at 5:00 PM on Friday June 24, 2014.
The main character wants to improve his life but he lacks the motivation and need to do so.
It starts when the fitness training session begins.
It ends when the main character and his friend leave the gym.
Artist’s Statement
This play was mainly influenced by my experience in the school club Road Runners. When I lead the workouts, many members will complain. Even though I may be giving them a hard time, in the long run, I want to promote healthier living. I believe that motivation stem psychologically and can be shown physically. Anyone who has the motivation to change can do so at any age.
Specific Notes to Directors and Actors
Casting: All the roles are relatively easy to cast. The play is very flexible with race, ethnicity, and age. However, the actor playing Michael should have an admirable, toned body. Bob, on the other hand, can be noticeably out of shape.
Set and Costumes: Characters are dressed in modern day clothing. The setting should look like a gym. There are many machines on the floor and include dumbbell racks.
Music: Include upbeat and lively music.